inline heater

ben89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
minnesota
im looking for a good inline heater and temp controller for my 120 gallon.

i need to raise temp by 15 degrees or so. i would assume i need 300 watts or better

trying to stay under $150 or so combined

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
There really are only a couple of choices for in line heaters and they are on both ends of the spectrum. On the low end are the Hydor which go up to 300 watts with a fitting for 5/8" tubing. They do work well but having used them for some years now I would say you would need two of those for use on a 120g tank. If purchased online this would probably be within your budget. The other types of in line heaters are generally professional models that are like 1000watt+ units with high prices.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I made some out of pvc, which is pretty easy to do if you have a basic understanding of plumbing. There are a lot of good DIY's out there.

uploadfromtaptalk1424361338680.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424361360767.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424361391996.jpg

I have 2 sunsun 302b's rated at 265gph each with 2x inline heaters. My planted 40b stays at a steady 80° with just a 100w and 50w heater. I can't speak for efficiency because I cant see the light on the thermostat, and I'm not using a controller. But im assuming the same could he done with a higher wattage heater and larger pvc. Aside from the cost of the heaters (which I had laying around) the project cost around $20.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have learned the hard way, that if you use a Hydor in-line it is a good idea to put a check valve below the heater to prevent the line from draining during a power outage. If the drains dry of water, the heater easily burns up.
Someone posted here on MFK about building a DIY heater using the element from a standard home water heater, and using a Ranco(sp?) controller from a hardware store, I don't remember where the thread is, but it seems like a great idea to me.
Might be really good combined using Mudbutts method.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I have to interject and say that every time I see Mudbuttjones I laugh hysterically.

Anyway - great topic as I have wondered how effective the inline heaters were for larger tanks above 200 gal. I will follow this thread!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
I have a hydor heater in line on my ehiem 2217. No complaints, I like it. I have mine on a controller.

ben89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
minnesota
i came across the reef keeper lite. i will probably go with that with 2 of the hydor 200 watt inline heaters. i like the option of adding the email alert system being im at work more then i am home in the summer. ha there goes my $150 budget... oh well

ben89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
minnesota
I have learned the hard way, that if you use a Hydor in-line it is a good idea to put a check valve below the heater to prevent the line from draining during a power outage. If the drains dry of water, the heater easily burns up.
Someone posted here on MFK about building a DIY heater using the element from a standard home water heater, and using a Ranco(sp?) controller from a hardware store, I don't remember where the thread is, but it seems like a great idea to me.
Might be really good combined using Mudbutts method.
im having trouble finding the right check valve. do you have a link of the one you used

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
I use a Hydor inline with a ranco controller. I've had it for 3 years with non issue.

When I shut my filter off I don't lose any water out of my return hose that the heater is hooked up to so I don't run a valve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store