Giant Fish

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Gigantism occurs from time to time.

My question is, has anyone seen this in fish? Lol I'm envisioning 24 inch long Oscars, that sort of idea

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishdat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2014
Western Canada
My LFS had a trio of Black Neon Tetra that were all 5" long and 3" tall. Not sure if they were a group of tetras suffering from gigantism or a species I'm unaware of.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I've seen some unusually extra large individuals in various species too but they are usually much older. 5" red rosy minnow, 13" common shiner, 7" orange spotted sunfish are few examples of what I saw.

I've seen it. Mostly common fish that are way way bigger than the average, usually very old fish though (as mentioned above), so i'm guessing that its not "gigantism" per say, but due to the fact that these large fish have outlived most of their brethren and therefore have simply kept growing, further these fish are usually either kept in large tanks and are fed very well, or smaller tanks with lots of water changes and over filtration and fed very well.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I had a boss at work that was slimy and fishlike.I think he had gigantism also,I know he was a giant idiot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Gigantism is a pituitary disorder that manifests itself in children at an early age. It's extremely rare and for humans simply getting larger than normal is not the sole criteria. You can be very tall without having gigantism.

It's not known what the rate is in animals but you'd be hard pressed to identify more than a handful of examples in the animal kingdom because a) it's a disadvantage in most cases and b) true gigantism is typically associated with other disorders than reduce life expectancy.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
My LFS had a trio of Black Neon Tetra that were all 5" long and 3" tall. Not sure if they were a group of tetras suffering from gigantism or a species I'm unaware of.
Where??!!! I want them !!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store