Sturgeon

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
How warm are you talking and what species? There are southern species of sturgeon that can easily tolerate regular room temps in the lower 70s. If you mean a tropical set up then, no. Keeping sturgeons long-term in tropical temps is usually one problem after another. Spiral disease and other neurological issues are fairly common problems along with nose-up dancing at the surface from lower DO issues to irregular hormone production to amino acid degradation. You're going to hear from countless people that they've kept sturgeons in tropical setting with no issues. But, in 50+ years in this hobby, I've yet to see any of these 'tropical' sturgeons passing juvenile size.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Dang Oddball, your knowledge of fish never ceases to amaze me. 50 years later, which fish keep your interest today.

Sorry about the derail op, not much else to cover.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Dang Oddball, your knowledge of fish never ceases to amaze me. 50 years later, which fish keep your interest today.

Sorry about the derail op, not much else to cover.
I always fall for that puffer smile.

puffersmile.jpg

puffersmile.jpg

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Oddballs the man on pretty much every subject. I had an 8" white sturgeon in an unheated tank but once summer came along and the temp got to the 70's all bad started happening. Spirals, constantly darting into the sides and doing backflips were just some of the problems. I was lucky it survived the summer then it started getting better again.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store