Sump Pump for Drip System Overflow?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Is anyone one using a float actuated sump pump as part of their drip system? I have one tank I cannot drill the sump and need to pump the water to another room.
-Any experience with certain brand pumps or recommendations?
-Any negative experiences or things to look out for?

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
It could work, however it sounds like a dangerous idea. What if the float sticks, in either position? On the pump will drain your sump, off your sump will overflow. Or your pump dies, you will have water on the floor. I'm not sure what the best solution would be in this case but I feel like this may not be it.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Not completely sure what you are trying to do. You mean to get excess water from the system after dripping? If that is the case, I don't think you will be happy with the results using a sump pump. How much water will you be wanting to move out in a given amount of time / How much are you dripping in per hour? How often per hour or in a day will you need to run the pump?

Fishguy, I think your concern is no different than what would happen in a conventional sump return if a pump failed. Of course you are correct regarding the float sticking. Maybe a recycling timer would work? http://www.amazon.com/ART-DNE-Hydroponic-Adjustable-Interval-Controller/dp/B00286QNDM There are less expensive places to buy it but you get reviews on Amazon.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
It is a bit different. If a regular sump return fails, assuming you set up your sump properly, you will not end up with water on your floor. In this case with the water level in the sump constantly rising if the pump fails the sump will overflow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store