Snakehead identification

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Channa Argus / Northern Snakehead. Location?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Agreed argus, I'm fairly sure someone else posted these same pics with the same question not long ago.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
That is one bad ass looking Channa Argus. Would love to get one soon. I've only come across the platinum version. Do you keep any?

DJ313

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2014
Mauritius
For the moment concerning snakeheads, I have an unknown snakehead and a channa Marulius.. I badly want a red/giant snakehead. By the way may be you can help me ti ID the unknown snakehead.

thanksDSC_0977.JPG

DSC_0977.JPG

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
That one is Channa stewertii

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Pretty! Show us your Marulius. What is the origin? India or Thailand?

All the best in finding a Giant Snakehead. I'm looking for a Northern Snakehead.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
ok . thanks it becomes very nice when big :)
They are a very nice species but they don't get very big . Yours looks to be almost full grown the species only reaches 12" (give or take depending on locality)

Also I feel I jumped the gun a bit on that first guess because the fish originally pictured could also be channa maculata , they look very much like argus but are a tropical species given your location if there is a feral population of them and it's not just someone's big pet then it's more likely that it's maculata.

Both argus and maculata have been introduced in many places for use as a food source both intentionally into rivers or accidentally by escaping farms.

Also channa striata is known to have been introduced to Madagascar and neighbouring islands which would make then them a likely candidate, the jaw shape looks too pronounced for striata to me, but that could be the result of the angle.

In curious , Is it a common find I your waterways?? Would another pic be possible?

Reactions: DJ313
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store