My amazon monster project

geophagus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Norway
Im starting this thread to show my progress from virtual idea to finished setup, and to get valuable help from you experienced builders :)

Well, short story; i have had lots of aquariums from early days of my life until now - started with a 60 litre tank at the age of 8 or something, and have had lots of different tank in different periods of life.
About 10-12 years ago i had some 375 litres, a 660 and several smaller tanks in the 100-200 litre area - but the need for something bigger was always there, so i decided to build a 4 metre long tank, it was only about 1000 litres, but the length was great for my amazon river setup. Unfortunatly that didnt last long because we decided to move.... only 6 months of fun :(
New house, new tanks... but this time i had no room for a 4 metre tank, so i ended up with a tiny room filled with tanks stacked all over. Had around 3000 litres of water in total in that little room. Well...that ended also. We moved again..... Thats about two years ago now. The great thing is we now live where we want and we love the place, will probably never move again :)

So, the need for a new tank is here again. We have a big house, but not any good space for a big tank... But i have two separate garages. One for cars, and one that is not possible to park any car in because of its placement (i think it was build once just for housing garden stuff etc).
This garage is around 35-40 m2 and is perfect for housing our "pets", so a plan is taking form to build a "monster" tank - although not only a fish tank, but it will be built as a huge Vivarium.
The idea is to build the entire Vivarium about 4 metres wide, and 2 metres deep, and all the way from the floor and up (water level around 80cm).
I have made all kinds of sketches but havent landed on one particular yet. This is where i need some input from you guys :)

One option is to build a concrete tank about 2.5x2x1 metres placed to the rigth side, then 1,5 metres of land area on the left side of the room. This will give me the option to place technical equipement under the land area and still have easy access.
Another option is to make a land area in the back, full length (4 metres), but with various depth so it doesnt give that rectangular feeling, and of course a full length 4 metres of water area in front.
I have also been thinking of placing the tank in the midle with landarea on both left and right side... well, ehem... i have some decissions to make soon :cry:

Anyway, when it comes to building.. will i be good with using concrete blocks against the back wall without sealing the original wall of any kind?
The tank will be concrete as mentioned, and covered with resin and fibreglass, and then a topcoat to finish it. Glass in front to get the view inside.
It will of course have a bottom drain, and all connections for filtres etc built in.

I`ll post some sketches later.

geophagus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Norway
This is one option, seen from above. This will let me plant various tropical plants on land level, and to place branches, trees, rocks etc in the back all the way, and also give me the option for an technical compartment on the left side below land area.
This would give some roughly 3000 litres of water depending on water level.

Btw; the entire garage will of course be properly insulated before i start building the tank.

forslag.png

And here with how it can look seen from the room also (sliding doors in front above water level).

forslag2.png

forslag.png

forslag2.png

geophagus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Norway
Time for an update....
I have been working a few evenings in the garage to prepare for tank-building :nilly:
First of all i had to tear down a few walls and insulate a little bit more - took some hours do complete, and i hate working with it:
IMG_1276-300x225.jpg IMG_12821-300x225.jpg

Today i fished some of the new walls. To the left is whats going to be my 200 liter DIY filter.
IMG_1290-300x225.jpg IMG_1297-300x225.jpg

I have tried placing concrete blocks at least 10 different ways to find the best way to build and place the tank, size etc... and its changing all the time...haha.
I think however i have found a good solution now.
If i decide to build like this, i get access all around the tank (almost) to place technical equipment and for inspection purpose if any leak or something like that should ever appear.
Filter will be hidden also since i will build a frame around the whole frontview.
There will be a decent land-area too so i can use it for planting, basking spot, or whatever i find useful above water level.

IMG_1298-300x225.jpg IMG_1299-300x225.jpg
PS: just for illustration, the frame/top above the tank will be much taller, also the tank itself will be taller.

IMG_1276-300x225.jpg

IMG_12821-300x225.jpg

IMG_1290-300x225.jpg

IMG_1297-300x225.jpg

IMG_1298-300x225.jpg

IMG_1299-300x225.jpg

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Some feedback:

In the drawling of your tank, it looks like you have cabinets over it? That might make maintenance very difficult. Even if it's just a giant canopy, it will be in the way.
Also, it looks like you are using plywood on the inner walls (to cover insulation). It would be worthwhile to caulk the seams. Other wise, you will lose heat due to drafts.
You could also use that "tape" stuff that they put around windows when they install them to seal up the gaps (I forget what's it's called now, but basically a wide tape in a roll)

Good luck, great project, I am looking forward to seeing you get done.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Keep the updates coming!! Very interested in your build.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

geophagus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Norway
Im waiting for the spring to come so i can empty this building completly. We got 40cm of snow yesterday, so im kind of stuck until snow is gone.

mfreader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2010
Canada
Im waiting for the spring to come so i can empty this building completly. We got 40cm of snow yesterday, so im kind of stuck until snow is gone.
Looks like this will be a very cool project (no pun intended).

While waiting for the snow to clear, it's probably a good time to think about how you're going to manage very high humidity at your garage walls, ceiling and in general, based on the small amount I know about Norway climate. Is that OSB on the walls with fiberglas insulation? Someone suggested caulking your wall seams, which is a good start. Perhaps you're well aware of how to handle these issues, but if not you will want to have a good understanding of wall assemblies and dealing with ongoing humidity to avoid a serious mold problem and structural issues with moisture down the road.

As for the tank wall and using cinder block...it may be informative to investigate ways to frame up a mould, incorporate re-bar, and use poured concrete for your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store