sump pump questions

george09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
peterborough on
do you guys use utily pumps ? to pump the water back to the main tank. the pump im useing is http://www.burcam.com/files/Web/Infos/Anglais/300506BPS.pdf any ideas on how to make utility pumps a little less noisy. or recomend a less noisy pump looking at the 100 pgh range, head of 5 ft tops. would prefer to stick to utilty pump as i think they can pump more water ph then a reg pump just gotta cut some of this noise. if it helps this is a subersable pump.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
What makes you think a sump pump can move more water than a pump designed for aquariums? For the same exact price you will get a smaller pump that will move much more water if you get a pump designed for aquarium use.

Lets start with this, what size tank do you have? If you are only looking for 100 gph it must not be very large?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
What size tank? How many drains on the display tank that are actively draining water under normal conditions, and what size are they? And what size is the return line from the pump to the outlet in the aquarium? As for using utility pumps.....I bought pond pumps because they're made to do this quietly. Several people here on MFK said Laguna pumps are quiet, so I bought those. They're not too expensive. I like 'em so far.

george09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
peterborough on
Ooo sry ment 1000 gph I have 2 1 inch drains just looking for a way to make it a little less noisy I got this pump at the time like 50 bucks. The over flow runs into a riber made tote but it's the vibrations I think that make it noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Sump pumps aren't made to run continuously. You need to bite the bullet and buy a pump designed for what you are using it for. I second Laguna. They are very energy efficient. You can take them out of the cage they come in and save space. Supreme Mag-Drive are another popular choice, but they are power hogs.

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
I run a mag drive 2400 and 2 mag drive 1800 in my living room and have never heard a single sound out of any of them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store