Are uv sterilizers needed in a fw tank

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I always keep a uv on all my tanks now cuz you never know what parasite or bacteria a new fish might bring in the tank. QTing would help prevent that from happening but it's better to be safe than sorry

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
They also kill bacteria and airborne stuff. Do your research before you get one. There are a lot of them out there that aren't with the time of day. Also the ones built in to cannister filters are a sales gimmick. Ask opinions in the stingray section. They seem to have the most experience.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I used one in a planted tank, that was driving me crazy, to help control algae tell I got it settled down and running right. It was an in tank model and I doubt if it was very efficient for long term tank protection. It was nearly impossible to take apart and check and clean the inside. But it did what I needed for a short term problem.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
They also kill bacteria and airborne stuff. Do your research before you get one. There are a lot of them out there that aren't with the time of day. Also the ones built in to cannister filters are a sales gimmick. Ask opinions in the stingray section. They seem to have the most experience.
Actually I have 1 that's built in the canister, reaction 4, and it works phenomenallyy. At 1 point I was getting sick fish for free and would add them to the system, not smart I know, but within a week theyd be 100% again. No salt or meds added.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store