May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Nice job :thumbup::)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
One of my top 5 favorite fish. I've kept numerous Wallago attu since about 1991. What size is it? It looks like it's about 10-12" long or so to me. The largest one I've ever grown was 4-5" when I got them. I bought 3 at the time ,from a wholesaler in Atlanta,Georgia in the early 1990's. I sold 2 of them to buddies, and the fish I kept was 34" when it died in the terrible blizzard of 1993. Water just got too cold after the power was out for 9 days. Here's a picture of a W.attu that I've kept since 1-15-2014. 20" at the moment. Thanks.IMAG0052.jpg20140625_170340.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

20140625_170340.jpg

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
One of my top 5 favorite fish. I've kept numerous Wallago attu since about 1991. What size is it? It looks like it's about 10-12" long or so to me. The largest one I've ever grown was 4-5" when I got them. I bought 3 at the time ,from a wholesaler in Atlanta,Georgia in the early 1990's. I sold 2 of them to buddies, and the fish I kept was 34" when it died in the terrible blizzard of 1993. Water just got too cold after the power was out for 9 days. Here's a picture of a W.attu that I've kept since 1-15-2014. 20" at the moment. Thanks.View attachment 1060062View attachment 1060063
Very nice bro zeke:)

Hes 14":)

I havent measured my biggest one i think that guy is around 2' already:)

Have you tried keeping them with rays? To me they are more bottom dwellers than leeriis and they are more feisty when it comes to feeding. Even my big cats avoid the attu while feeding. I have 3 caves in my aquapond and the big attu claimed one:))

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Arapaimag's 3' attu was swiftly eaten or killed by his two 5' leerii in a 52,000 gal. Or so it looked. It was never seen after the release but maybe Michael will chime in.

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
One of my top 5 favorite fish. I've kept numerous Wallago attu since about 1991. What size is it? It looks like it's about 10-12" long or so to me. The largest one I've ever grown was 4-5" when I got them. I bought 3 at the time ,from a wholesaler in Atlanta,Georgia in the early 1990's. I sold 2 of them to buddies, and the fish I kept was 34" when it died in the terrible blizzard of 1993. Water just got too cold after the power was out for 9 days. Here's a picture of a W.attu that I've kept since 1-15-2014. 20" at the moment. Thanks.View attachment 1060062View attachment 1060063
Should have heated some water up and poored it in, generator, wood fire. Many ways you could have saved it

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I stayed up for the first 4 days heating water up in a metal tub and doing water changes. Could not stay awake for any longer although I tried. No way to get a generator. 2 feet of snow kinda shuts everything down in SE Tennessee. Even if I'd have been able to make it somewhere , I doubt anyone would have been able to rent/let me buy a generator with no way for me to pay for it since the power was out. I did ask around places I could walk to. Nobody seemed to want to let me borrow a generator to keep my fish alive. They were kinda using it to keep theirselves alive. I even taped styrofoam around the tank. Didn't have any type of fireplace. Building a fire in my bedroom just wasn't an option. I exhausted all my resources and my body trying to save them. I'll have to give you a holler next time J. I don't know what else I could have done in hindsight. I tried hard enough to know I did all I could. It was the middle of March and no one knew it was gonna get that bad. I can still sleep at night knowing there was nothing else I could do at the time.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds like you put forth a gallant effort to try to save your fish under the circumstances,sorry about the loss.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
It really was all I could do. I thought for sure that the power was gonna come back on after 3-4 days. A lot more to fix than just downed lines was the problem. That's the only Wallago attu catfish out of 10 or so I've owned that had that "pet" quality about it. Haven't found another one yet that's outgoing...figures. I think I've derailed the thread by now. Send some more pictures if you would, Bob. I really dig these fish for some reason.

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
It really was all I could do. I thought for sure that the power was gonna come back on after 3-4 days. A lot more to fix than just downed lines was the problem. That's the only Wallago attu catfish out of 10 or so I've owned that had that "pet" quality about it. Haven't found another one yet that's outgoing...figures. I think I've derailed the thread by now. Send some more pictures if you would, Bob. I really dig these fish for some reason.
At least you tried your best. Sorry for the loss. I think all fish hobbyist should have a back up plan. Not just for the fish but for yourselves too. I would recommend buying a generator regardless. If power goes out, or for whatever reason you have a back up for yourself and for your pets :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store