I'm Having No Luck With Aquarium Light Bulbs (Help Pls)

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
I bought a 4 feet tank and I still can't fix its light.

I'm using the thin fluorescent light bulb. The first one that came with the aquarium lid was flickering. I changed it to a new one and it started flickering too!

It was lighting just fine at the shop when the shopkeeper tested it.

So I figured maybe I didn't fuse it right, maybe I didn't twist it properly. I tried and tried it was still the same. Then the ends of the bulb became so hot and smokey black.

Still flickering I just removed it. :(

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Could be the ballast.I agree go led cost a little more but saves on electricity,won't add heat to tank,and unlike bulbs,never need to replaced with age.bulbs last only a year or so before losing intensity

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
I've seen a lot of LED lights that are dull and colourful. It's so unnatural / artificial I feel sorry for the fish to go through such confusing environments.

If I could find a normal white or sun colour that mimics nature I would buy it.

carl_d_c

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2014
Mineral Wells, Texas
You can get a new ballast at Home Depot or Lowes, etc... just read the description on the new ballast, get some small blue wire nuts to make new connections, I'm sure there's probably a video on youtube.
Easy peazy lemon squeezy!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've seen a lot of LED lights that are dull and colourful. It's so unnatural / artificial I feel sorry for the fish to go through such confusing environments.

If I could find a normal white or sun colour that mimics nature I would buy it.
I see just the opposite. I find while fluorescent brightens and enhance fish color, its unnatural looking to me. I find that the longer I use LED the more I prefer them since I find they give a more accurate "natural" color and I love the simmering effects it has on the water....like that of a suns ray.

White LED comes in warm and cold effect options. The cold effect while brighter will make everything looked washed out. I do not this effect at all.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
+1 I'm agreed with Xraycer LED light nowadays beat old school light bulb by far, it does give a real looking natural environment day or night :D

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I been in the same spot many times dont be intimidated by replacing the ballast you can buy them at Home Depot for between 20 and 30 dollars depending on what type of bulbs you have its a very easy fix.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
This is what I mean:

But if I see a natural colour led lighting I would definitely get it. Nothing against led.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Will check on the ballast. Thank you, guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store