American cichlid compatability

aquatic lover

Feeder Fish
Feb 20, 2015
Queensland
Hi everyone, I have 5xfeet x 2feet x 2feet fish tank with an orange snook 15cm and green terror 20 cm. I was wondering what other american cichlids I could keep with these fish without any fighting? How many american cichlids could I keep in this size fish tank? Remember I want to avoid overcrowding and stunted growth?

Any help appreciated

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
There is no guarantee on any sp. will work out perfectly in the long term, but as long as you keep fish with similar temperaments like your GT and snook. It is tricky IME. You never know what an individual fish will be like once full grown. Sometimes they simply just snap and you have to remove the aggressor.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with cichlidfish, neither of your fish are on the highly aggressive side, so keeping to the other non-aggressive species would be best.
But because there are hundreds of new world species, and whether or not they are available in your area, it is difficult to recommend.
But it is much easier to suggest what to avoid.
Any of the Central American Parachromis (though not correct I'm including grammodes and salvini here), Nandopsis, many of the Amphilophus, and Heichthys/ Nosferatu labridens group are probably all too aggressive to be kept with your fish.
South Americans might make better choices, as long as they are not the larger species like Cichla, or large pikes.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I had a Red Bay Snook and two Oscars living together in peace for 10+ years in 150g tank. With them in there it was only a 4 fish tank and had 300+g of filtration on it. I think it was the same snook as yours. It was orange but supposedly would have been red if I fed it enough shrimp like creatures.

SOA

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Milwaukee
nicaraguense would probably work. RTM most likely not. Snook might get to big for that tank in the future already. That being said you have room to add a few more others. Your tank is wide and tall so you can have lots of cave and hiding structures on bottom half for a handful of fish and open water swimming on top half for the snook.

Jagmania

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2015
Tennessee
Something that is equally aggressive I think would be safe to add. I have 2 silver dollars with a 10 inch red devil, the have been together for three years I have put oscars and green terrors in with the guy and he will destroy them in seconds...

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
nicaraguense would probably work. RTM most likely not. Snook might get to big for that tank in the future already. That being said you have room to add a few more others. Your tank is wide and tall so you can have lots of cave and hiding structures on bottom half for a handful of fish and open water swimming on top half for the snook.
I have too agree on the nicaraguensis. Excellent fish, i just picked up a 6" male a few months ago. Hes about 7.5" now and a real stunner. Hes bold but not overly aggressive at all. He even shares his tank with a school of roseline sharks and a female geo. Brasiliensis and it looks awesome! Great fish. Gets big, with a mellow temperament and beautiful coloration.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store