How to convince parents to let me me a tank?

Mattpersico98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
How should I convince my parents to let me buy a tank? I can pay for it myself but they seem to be doubtful that I will really stay interested in the hobby. I think they think I will lose interest. How do you guys suggest to convince them. I don't need an absolutely giant tank like we see on here. I want a 120 gallon 4x2x2, perfect for the spot I have picked out. It also seems to be right in my price range for a full setup around this size. So what do you guys suggest I do, I don't need anything from them except a ride to pick it up when I but it, but they still won't bite. What should I do!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Write them a detailed report. Explaining why you want a tank, what type of tank, how you would fund this tank, what it takes to care for this tank and what your plans are for this tank going forward. If they see you are willing to put that much effort in your proposal, it may show you are truly interested in this endeavor.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Have you kept fish before? While a 120g tank is nice, I would not recommend it to someone just starting. Probably the shear size and scope of that tank seems too much from your parents point of view. Would they possibly not have an issue if it were smaller? Maybe a 55g?

Mattpersico98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
I have kept fish before but we just moved twice in the past few years and having a tank was not a priority. When I was keeping them i was successful with it. I previously asked them about a smaller tank to keep in my room, I think I asked for a 30 gallon, and I got the same response.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I agree start with something a lot smaller it my not be ideal for your wants but your just starting and have alot to learn. Im not saying your a complete novice but caring for fish can be a tall task with extra large tanks. Since you dont have experience doing so i advise to start small.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mikiel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2014
Burbank, CA
Instead of jumping into a 120g from not owning a tank maybe convince them to let you buy a smaller tank first. A 20g up to maybe a 55g? This way it's not such a scary large thing and you can prove to them on a smaller scale that you can indeed care for it properly. This will also save you some money up front which you could spend on a few nicer fish. Once you have had it for a while you can start working the angle of upgrading the tank size to a larger tank. I know this doesn't get you exactly what you want immediately but it might help to seem less scary to your parents and show them you can be responsible with it.

If that doesn't work just ask them once a day every day until they finally give in....if that doesn't work just buy the tank while they are out of the house and ask for forgiveness later.....okay so maybe don't do that last thing but maybe starting with a smaller request could help.

Mattpersico98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
Sorry about that, I should have mentioned, I kept a 75 and a 90 gallon by myself previously. This is part of the reason I don't understand why they all of a sudden are against this new tank. Trust me, I am capable of caring for the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store