Stupid Breeding Question

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have a male Breidohri and a Fenestratus of unknown gender. The male is digging a hole in front of a flowerpot, and picking at the inside of it, but mostly just spitting sand around. The female is just hanging around the flowerport. They won't let other fish near the 3rd of the tank with flowerpot in it. They team up on other fish now, too. This started very suddenly, 3 days ago, they totally ignored each other. So, is this about what goes on when fish spawn? How long are they gonna do this, because it's pretty annoying and if they do hatch some fry, they'll be hybrids. I've got the rest of the fish crowded up on the other side of the tank, and they're arguing all the time. If this is just a few days kinda thing, OK.....but if this goes on for weeks before they decide to lay, I'd rather separate them. Way too much trouble for hybrid fry.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
If I take the Fenestratus out of the tank, will the male go back to acting like he used to? Or is he gonna stay in spawning mode? It's a big tank--plenty of fish in the sea. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Worth a try, but hard to say. Could also drop the temp a degree or two, see if that helps

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Worth a try, but hard to say. Could also drop the temp a degree or two, see if that helps
Dropped the temp 2 degrees, that helped quite a bit. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store