Best small pellets for baby dats?

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Just got myself a few little dats and they are eating bloodworms and glass worms greedily. I only have NLS atm, but I find those pellets rather hard. Even my fish that eat pellets take a while to get on them. Are there any brands that are softer and perhaps easier to get these guys on?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hikari sinking carnivore and here's my tip if they don't take the pellets right away;cut up small pieces of shrimp or tilapia and place the pellet inside of a piece,kind of roll it into a little ball...Drop it in near the dat and he should take it soon if not right away.After the dat has been takng the loaded seafood ball,gradually use smaller and smaller pieces until you are giving the dat only the pellet.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
The sinking carnivore worked out well. Threw a few tiger barbs with the dats and started the pellets, no shrimp. One is eating already and the others looked interested.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good,at this point I wouldn't give them anything else until they are regularly eating the pellets.Then you can offer them other foods as treats.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Hikari sinking carnivore and here's my tip if they don't take the pellets right away;cut up small pieces of shrimp or tilapia and place the pellet inside of a piece,kind of roll it into a little ball...Drop it in near the dat and he should take it soon if not right away.After the dat has been takng the loaded seafood ball,gradually use smaller and smaller pieces until you are giving the dat only the pellet.
This is exactly what I did with my PBass with bloodworms and carnisticks. He was on the carnisticks in one day. This method is no joke lol.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It sure isn't lol.Ive trained almost all of my dats with this method.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Good,at this point I wouldn't give them anything else until they are regularly eating the pellets.Then you can offer them other foods as treats.
Will do. Crap pic but makes me happy.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424735487.812909.jpg

A bit unstable still in the quarantine tank that's black on black. I will move them to a 75 gallon when they are solid on pellets.

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
Not trying to Hijack the thread but Krichardson, how do you get the stuffed food to the Dats when all other fish in my tank are more aggressive to the food and eat it before the Dats can get to it? I really want to try this method as I'm having a lot of trouble with feeding, any secrets? (They are small 2.5 inches)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure what you can do other than moving the dats to their own grow out tank or place a divider in the tank.
Looking good there Calichai!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store