Pot scrubs in canisters?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all,

Just curious as to how well pot scrubs do in canister filters. I just got a new sunsun can and was toying with the notion of jamming a besheezus-load of pot scrubbies in the trays rather than bother getting any matrix or biomax etc.

Anyone do this? I've seen a few people say they have but I am still weary of the thought (I feel like these clog up something fierce in such a closed in system).

This bad boy is just added bio filtration, and amazon had some deal on it for like 25 bucks off so I snatched it up.

Thanks for any input!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Most fish keepers usually use scrubbers for wet/dry applications, but I've read about those that use them in canisters with equal success.

Owning multi units of these Sunsun canisters, I do find that it isn't the best in terms of mechanical filtration, so there are a bit of debris that does get by the filter pads. Therefore you would probably have to spend a bit more time rinsing out these scrubbers to free them of organic matter/debris. I use ceramic ring and they rinse out fairly easy, but scubbies with their labrynth of folds may be more challenging.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Most fish keepers usually use scrubbers for wet/dry applications, but I've read about those that use them in canisters with equal success.

Owning multi units of these Sunsun canisters, I do find that it isn't the best in terms of mechanical filtration, so there are a bit of debris that does get by the filter pads. Therefore you would probably have to spend a bit more time rinsing out these scrubbers to free them of organic matter/debris. I use ceramic ring and they rinse out fairly easy, but scubbies with their labrynth of folds may be more challenging.
Ya I definitely won't ever own a can for the mech filtration capabilities hahaha. Thats what I was thinking was the possibility of them becoming clogged waaaaaay to easily. I dont mind canister maintenance like 90% of the forum does lol. I have an fx6 with nothing but biomax and one filter pad in it and that works extremely well. The tank this sunsun is going on is going to be running a wet/dry as well but I couldn't pass up on it when i saw it.

Maybe I'll move a tray around in the fx6 and add scrubs, and see how quickly they gunk up in there first. Thanks for the input!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My opinion, scrubbers are better than matrix, etc. Once the matrix/ceramic pores clog with minerals (they do) you just have a cannister of rocks. Rocks don't have as much surface area as pot scrubbers. (unless you are talking lava)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
My opinion, scrubbers are better than matrix, etc. Once the matrix/ceramic pores clog with minerals (they do) you just have a cannister of rocks. Rocks don't have as much surface area as pot scrubbers. (unless you are talking lava)
Thats a good point, mineralization won't put scrubbers out of commission.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've been using the same ceramic rings for years and years and have never had an issue....nor anyone that I know that also uses them. I also just use the much more inexpensive ceramic media I find off EB and not any brand name stuff either.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I've been using the same ceramic rings for years and years and have never had an issue....nor anyone that I know that also uses them. I also just use the much more inexpensive ceramic media I find off EB and not any brand name stuff either.
I love ceramic rings, dont get me wrong haha, I just thought maybe scrubs would be a cheap way to get more surface ya know?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I love ceramic rings, dont get me wrong haha, I just thought maybe scrubs would be a cheap way to get more surface ya know?
I think you'll be fine with scrubbies, and, yes, saving $ is always a good thing.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I think you'll be fine with scrubbies, and, yes, saving $ is always a good thing.
I'll let you know if my bedroom suddenly becomes a swimming pool from the can backing up and leaking haha

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I use pot scrubs in canisters. They are cheap and easy to clean, versus you know a million tiny ceramic rings

Pot scrubs actually do catch a fair amount of mechanical waste, but I just blast my canister media with a hose, that's why I have 2 on each tank, so I can rotate

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store