Pvc glue

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Rule number one, there's no such thing as PVC glue. Its PVC cement. Any kind is fine. Its food safe once dry. Look on YouTube if you are not sure the proper way to connect pipes.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
The oatey pvc cement and primer set that's carried by most hardware stores will do the job.

Most any will do, that's just the one I tend to see everywhere.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I use regular Oatey clear cement. It works just fine. Alot of aquarium guys go crazy with specialized cements. In my opinion any will do...there's a big difference between a couple PSI in aquarium plumbing versus the plumbing in your home.

Also I wait 24-48hrs for the glue to dry. A good indication for me is when the solvent smell goes away. I've read on some reef keeping websites that alot of people will use it in an aquarium within an hour of its application. That's your call.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
You need to buy whatever cement is made to glue whatever kind of pipe and fittings you're gluing together. If you're running schedule 40 pipe and fittings, there's cement for that. If you're running schedule 80, there's cement for that.

Don't mix pipe/fitting types, cause then you'll need a different cement for that--transition cement. ABS has a different kind of cement.

And glue everything. When you're done, if you get an air leak in the lines somewhere, first thing you'll need to do is glue what you press fit before you start searching for the leak--so just glue everything.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I don't normally glue anything that's inside the tank, or overflow chamber, that stuff I just dryfit. Then I can always change it down the road.

Anything outside the tank you definitely want glued. threaded couplers and unions are a life saver for when it comes time for maintenance or repairs

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Good point. My standpipes inside the overflow boxes are press fit. My tank outlets inside the tank are press fit. I like unions. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I use regular Oatey clear cement. It works just fine. Alot of aquarium guys go crazy with specialized cements. In my opinion any will do...there's a big difference between a couple PSI in aquarium plumbing versus the plumbing in your home.

Also I wait 24-48hrs for the glue to dry. A good indication for me is when the solvent smell goes away. I've read on some reef keeping websites that alot of people will use it in an aquarium within an hour of its application. That's your call.

Yep. I used blue before but to do it right you always end up with drips and I was tired of blue on my projects. I found this stuff at Lowe's and it works great, and it's clear.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23467-138-3...t=oatey&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=oatey&facetInfo=

This formula also has a 2 hour cure time at 60* up to 180 psi - much faster than the 24-48 hour cure time many other formulas list.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Use black pvc and don't worry about seeing drips

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store