Anyone keep TRUE eels in freshwater?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I was watching a documentary on Netflix about true eels, and realized that unlike most species that migrate between Saltwater and Freshwater, eels spend theirs entire adult life in Freshwater, only living the ocean as larvae and then going back years later to breed. So it seems based on this life cycle they could be kept in freshwater setups, though obviously they could not breed. But I had heard that most "freshwater" eels (not so called [spiny] "eels") sold in the fish trade, such as snowflake eels (not the SW variety), are in reality brackish.

So are there any true eel species sold that can be kept in Freshwater? They are such fascinating fish!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Gymnothorax Polyuranadon. You should be able to find a lot of information on them here. If it weren't for mine my 75 gal setups wouldn't be running right now lpl

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
A documentary called The Mystery of Eels on PBS. The op is referring to, Anguilla rostrata. The American eel.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Gymnothorax Polyuranadon. You should be able to find a lot of information on them here. If it weren't for mine my 75 gal setups wouldn't be running right now lpl

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1 I have a small 10" 1 in pure fw. They are amazingly stunning wels and they are found in both fresh and saltwater.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
The American eel can be kept in freshwater. There are a few folks on here that have, or had, them. You'll need a tight fitting cover as they are great at escaping.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I am on the lookout for a european eel. Have seen one or two members here keep American eels.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I was watching a documentary on Netflix about true eels, and realized that unlike most species that migrate between Saltwater and Freshwater, eels spend theirs entire adult life in Freshwater, only living the ocean as larvae and then going back years later to breed. So it seems based on this life cycle they could be kept in freshwater setups, though obviously they could not breed. But I had heard that most "freshwater" eels (not so called [spiny] "eels") sold in the fish trade, such as snowflake eels (not the SW variety), are in reality brackish.

So are there any true eel species sold that can be kept in Freshwater? They are such fascinating fish!
I believe that Anguilla Rostrata is one of these types of Eels that you describe.

They are damn near impossible to kill. FFS they cost $1.90 (One dollar and ninety cents US$) at bait shops. In general they are kept live in refrigerators wrapped in cloth soaked in fresh water.

I currently have one that escaped from the holding tank early AM on a day of a Chesapeake rockfish excursion last summer. I did not have time to collect the 12th eel so I just left it on the carpet under the tank stand where it slithered. I went to chuck it out the next day, but it wasn't dead, so I through it back it the holding tank. It has doubled in size (now around 14") since last summer and is a fantastic tankmate with a redfin Pickerel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store