Tank upgrade

Odstar

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
North Hollywood
Going to upgrade to a 125 but the dilemma is that the my current tank is where I want to put the 125. I was thinking of setting a temporary holding tank and wait for the 125 to fully cycle but have not set up Holding tank and my other half is getting on me to move that 125 out of the garage! Or should I just do the transfer of all fish in one day? I fear that if I do that I'll lose some if not all my fish even though the substrate, rocks and established filters are in place in the new 125
My other option is to see if anyone here has a empty established QT tank to hold my fish while my 125 cycles. I'm willing to pay for the temporary housing of my fish. Good to mention also a that they are African Cichlids (tanganyika). And I'm located in the Los Angeles. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
why not put the fish in a bucket, or 3, after draining tank to fin level, finish draining, move old tank put new tank in its place, fill and treat the water. add old filters to new tank to hold cycle, and put the fish in it?

Odstar

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
North Hollywood
why not put the fish in a bucket, or 3, after draining tank to fin level, finish draining, move old tank put new tank in its place, fill and treat the water. add old filters to new tank to hold cycle, and put the fish in it?
Sounds good but if I place the old substrate into the new tank would at cause a mini cycle? I may be wrong.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
nope, again add the old filters to the new tank and all should be good, leave them there for 6 weeks or so till new filters cycle up.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I have had to do an all in one move before, other options not practical at the time. Along with reusing filters, gravel, ect. I also saved as much of the old water as I could. Probably some luck involved but never lost any fish. One time even involved an 8 hour drive to another state. The drive also utilized individual 5g buckets for each fish, battery powered air stones, and bag buddies.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no need for old water, old water is just that, old water. start off with fresh treated water, there are no beni,s from old water.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
no need for old water, old water is just that, old water. start off with fresh treated water, there are no beni,s from old water.
You could be right but I believe it helps avoid shocking the fish with a massive water parameter change. New treated water is not likely to have the same parameters that old water will. Particularly if moving.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
long as you are doing regular water changes with same water, for me that's 90% or fin level a week, should not be any shock involved. nitrate shock being one , but if your nitrates running that high for it to mater best get rid of the fish. PH should not be that big a a deal either.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
It i could count on one hand how many times ive broken down and re set up tanks and put everything back in immediately or moved and re set up tanks in one day i would be labeled a freak of nature!

Never lost a fish, this includes species from aros to rays, even sw sharks.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Like everyone said as long as your using the old filters and sand, there shouldn't be a problem at all. I tore down and setup a new tank in 1 day using all the equipment from old tank and never had a fish die on me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store