Will any of the pythons survive the record breaking winter?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just asking because I know the pythons, and other evasive species were hard to control due to them breeding in the wild such as the Everglades.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
I think Florida is still warm enough. Haven't checked the news lately that far south. Snakes would developed a respiratory issue and slowly die. Cold just slows them down, but if its a long period of cold they will not make it.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; In addition to being able to physically endure the cold, which many of the snakes are likely to not be able to do, there is a possible behavior aspect to consider. It may be that even tropical species have a bag of behaviors to call on. They may be able to seek out burrows or other such protection from the cold. Likely some will be killed off by the cold.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello; In addition to being able to physically endure the cold, which many of the snakes are likely to not be able to do, there is a possible behavior aspect to consider. It may be that even tropical species have a bag of behaviors to call on. They may be able to seek out burrows or other such protection from the cold. Likely some will be killed off by the cold.
Very interesting thanks for the input.

01C5Vert

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Jersey
They will be fine, their numbers may be thinned a bit but they wont be wiped out. Cold isn't exactly an extinction level event.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They will be fine, their numbers may be thinned a bit but they wont be wiped out. Cold isn't exactly an extinction level event.
Lol,they've survived the last bout of extremely low temps in Florida from a few years ago and I haven't heard of any forecasts for similar weather for the area.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
You only need a couple pairs to live. They aren't going anywhere. Some might die off, but they're an addition to Florida's ecosystem.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
x2 the temp dropped in Fl but not enough or long enough to wipe em all out imo.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I do not like the thought of killing snakes but it would be good for the ecosystem and the hobby if the non natives did get froze out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store