90 gallon tank stock

strangelynormal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
NYC
Hey. I have a 90g I'm incredibly frustrated with.

I'm looking to stock South American or Central American cichlids and mostly run into the needs a 5 foot tank problem. That wouldn't be a problem if I didn't want to get a 5 foot tank or longer (heart was set on a 6 ft) but I was limited.

Right now all I've got in there are diamond tetras, rainbowfish, and a featherfin catfish. I may not keep the rainbows, not wild over them.

What sort of docile cichlids am I looking at? Thanks in advance.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
that depends on how many fish you want in it. meaning how large of CA are you looking at?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Krobia Xinguensis are beautiful and max out at about 6" nice SA for a 90.

023[2].JPG

004.JPG

Acaronia Nassa is another cool cichlid from SA you don't see every day.

056.JPG

053.JPG

You don't have to go big, most people get fish too big for the tank they have. A. Nassa max out at about 8 to 9" for a large male.

023[2].JPG

004.JPG

056.JPG

053.JPG

strangelynormal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
NYC
that depends on how many fish you want in it. meaning how large of CA are you looking at?

Wouldn't put in anything bigger than 10 inches because that isn't right for the fish. Generally since the tank will look bizarre with too many big fish I'd consider one big one and several smaller. Like a severum, acara, orange head geo type deal (or crytoheros/keyhole/etc).

It's just that honestly I don't want to make the fish uncomfortable because of circumstances out of my and their control. It isn't fair to them

@aquanero, I've heard of them! However I presume they woould be a hard find. How could I go about finding them?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
TUIC or Shark Aquarium. I know George @ SA has some Krobia from my pair and had A. Nassa the last time I was there.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Try some severums or small geo's, I can see that working out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store