Sep 20, 2014
uk
IMO never, just stick with pellets, with some fish, crickets, worms as treats

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
Never. Theyre not designed to digest that.

Quality pellet (I prefer omega & nls) as a staple. Treats= insects, quality freeze dried, white fish fillets, & shrimp.

Jagmania

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2015
Tennessee
I have two jags alone in a 180 gallon tank looks empty because these guys/gals are just 2 inches the are not growing that fast it seems, I previously had a couple of oscars that i supplemented beefhearts with the Cichlid staple and they grew big fast, being that these Jags are my prized fish I will heed the warning and stop the beef hearts I also supplement their Hikari Cichlid gold with river krill is these stuff ok?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Just use a quality pellet, keep the water, filters and substrate clean and your nitrates as low as possible. Below 10 is great below 20 is acceptable. Let the fish grow at there own pace and do not try to power feed or accelerate growth. They will grow you don't need beefheart.

Jagmania

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2015
Tennessee
My tank is very odd nitrates have always been low never showed any signs of nitrite and the ammonia level never dropped below 2.0 ppm I have a seachem alert deal on the front of it free ammonia has never reached dangerous levels, i started out with a fishless cycle for three weeks, than tried seachem stability for 8 days than added fish and plants,,, still 2.0 ammonia 0 nitrite maybe 5 ppm nitrate 20% water change weekly my ammonia started out at 8.0 ppm so glad it at least dropped.. My Jack dempsey seems to be growing fast but my jags seem to be alot slower, I just recently purchased some raw deveined shrimp from the local meat dept as a treat for them...

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
That's weird that your jags aren't growing fast. Every juvi jag that I've kept has grown like a weed and in a much smaller tank. Try feeding Sinking Carnivore pellets instead?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store