Heater/temperature controllers

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
So, as it turns out, Canada sucks for availability of heater controllers. Before I go and order something and get killed by brokerage fees and the suddenly weak dollar, figured I would ask:

What is everyone using to control multiple heaters?

I would prefer not to get a full aquarium controller system at this point. From what I can tell my options are Ranco or JBJ (Finnex no longer available in Canada. Not impressed), but likely I've missed something.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
I've only used the Ranco but it's super accurate, easy to build and setup. They are pricey but its worth it for the comfort of knowing my fish won't fry. Plus the controller is a one time investment and you can change heaters if need be.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I am really satisfied with my ranco, I got one with a power strip wired in, plugged in my heaters set it and done. I still check the temperature daily with my thermometers, one in the sump and one in an overflow but they haven't budged since day one

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
I've been running a Ranco for 7 years with ZERO problems. 5 Stars for the Ranco.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
What Ranco model are you all using? Can you post a pic of your setup?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Etc-111000 seems to be the commonly used one, of course Ackland Grainger doesn't sell that one in Canada... :p

To the eBay!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
for $100 you can just get a Reef Keeper Lite controller. Will do temp control plus a lot of other cool features. I went that route and am pleased I did, considering the reputable temp controllers out there are not cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store