Festae and plants

Red_Terror

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2008
Georgia
Hi guys,
I've got a tank that is getting overloaded with algae. I tried an expensive pleco that was supposed to be protected against them, and he died within a week. I've got two red terrors that were wild caught, and they were put in the tank at the same time same size. One of them is now twice the size of the other so I would also like plants for more protection. This is a 125 gallon tank with 3 extra large pieces of drift wood and 2 big caves of sorts. I am currently trying Anubias with the roots under a cave. Any other suggestions?

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
So I should put a butt load of drift wood in there then? Reduce the lights too I guess?
Thats what i would do, anubias are tough as nails plants, same with the different varieties of java fern but with big brutes like red terrors, they may very well make a mess of the plants you have/ try to add. Lots of wood and dim lighting sounds like the best course of action. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found simple floating plants did well with mine, and also seemed to make them feel comfortable. If you try them, make sure you get enough to compete with the algae right away, or the algae will win out.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Normally sold as "bunch plants" they can be jammed into substrate, or simply dropped in. Elodea, Cabomba caroliniana(fanwort), and Hornwort are common (I believe the ones in my pic are Hornwort).
They provide cover and shade for fish, and in so doing, block light that produces algae a bit, and uses nitrate and other nutrients that algae need.
In some tanks they grow so well, I have enough to remove clumps every so often to feed vegetarian cichlids such as Herichthys bocourti.

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
I have a festae female in a CA community.. she is the only one to have issues with the anubias I have in the tank. The plant is new to the tank so that maybe the only reason but she did decide to shred a couple of leaves...

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
Normally sold as "bunch plants" they can be jammed into substrate, or simply dropped in. Elodea, Cabomba caroliniana(fanwort), and Hornwort are common (I believe the ones in my pic are Hornwort).
They provide cover and shade for fish, and in so doing, block light that produces algae a bit, and uses nitrate and other nutrients that algae need.
In some tanks they grow so well, I have enough to remove clumps every so often to feed vegetarian cichlids such as Herichthys bocourti.
My problem with stuff like hornwort is it is so fragile the slightest disturbance seems to cause small pieces to break off and clog filters etc......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store