New False Tig Questions

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I picked up this little guy today. He's about 3 inches and currently eating bloodworms. I'm keeping him in a 5G quarantine tank until I can get him off bloodworms. What should i try feeding him? I also could not find much info about them, so any advice is appreciated. How fast do they usually grow? What is their temperament like/how are they with tankmates?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
They're lazy, they love to prop up in some strong current and wait for food to come by. They're very hard to break off of live, though it varies from fish to fish. With the exception of congeners, they tend not to really bother other fishes.

IMO they're a good fish that can be quite rewarding, if challenging, to keep.

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
They're lazy, they love to prop up in some strong current and wait for food to come by. They're very hard to break off of live, though it varies from fish to fish. With the exception of congeners, they tend not to really bother other fishes.

IMO they're a good fish that can be quite rewarding, if challenging, to keep.

So I guess half the struggle is already done with him being on bloodworms lol?

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Yes, if it's already eating frozen bloodworms, you're doing good. I agree with Chix on everything stated. I've had some that will eat anything, and some that were very picky. It depends on the individual fish. I bought the first one I'd ever seen outside of a book, in 1991 or so. That's another fish that I lost due to no power for so long in the blizzard in March of 1993. I really like the fish alot. The only thing I can think of is ,be really careful with the fish in the 5 gallon tank. Water conditions can change dramatically really fast in a tank that small. Mine really didn't like water changes when I first got them. Tap water that's aged a little seemed to help. I use oak leaves and branches alot because my water is so hard. After I had them for a good while, they got used to tap water for the most part.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Yes, if it's already eating frozen bloodworms, you're doing good. I agree with Chix on everything stated. I've had some that will eat anything, and some that were very picky. It depends on the individual fish. I bought the first one I'd ever seen outside of a book, in 1991 or so. That's another fish that I lost due to no power for so long in the blizzard in March of 1993. I really like the fish alot. The only thing I can think of is ,be really careful with the fish in the 5 gallon tank. Water conditions can change dramatically really fast in a tank that small. Mine really didn't like water changes when I first got them. Tap water that's aged a little seemed to help. I use oak leaves and branches alot because my water is so hard. After I had them for a good while, they got used to tap water for the most part.
The LFS I got him at is in the same area and has hard water also so he should be used to it. He will be going in my 75 once he's on pellets or cut frozen fish and that tank has a lot of driftwood so it should be softer hopefully. He's the first one I've seen outside of the Internet. I worry about him in the 5 gal so hopefully he will learn to take other foods quickly. Thanks for the help. He's a beautiful fish.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I wouldn't get my hopes up about changing his diet because he takes bloodworms. I've never seen a predatory fish that would refuses bloodworms (lol). Getting him to transition from the bloodworms to pellets is where your fight will begin. If he's small enough to fit into a 5g though, it might be relatively easy.

Good luck either way! Got any pics?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Are we talking about a juruense or some other species?

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Well I got my PBass on pellets from bloodworms in one day, no joke lol. So I'm going to try the same method. I'll get a picture later today. And yes he's a juruense lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store