Need help from someone who knows allot about Arapiamas

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Ok so there where two arapimas for sale at MLFS the owner kept one and the other one stayed there forsale for about 3 months in about a 5 to 10 gal tank I picked him up about a months ago hes about 13 to 14 inches insize. the owners is about 16 inches and displaying allot of red color mine looks pitch black like a black shark, his looks half sliver and half black with some good red coming in so could that 3 months of being kept in a super small tank stunted his coloration? hes in a huge tank now but I dont know why hes so dark like this I've had another one before and he was more silver in front and blk in the back like the fish store owners does any one kno why this is???

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Anybody? Why is mine pitch black and they are normally half silver and half black I feel like they ruined the fish in terms of coloration is there any truth to this?

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Maybe a female, I've read that they don't color up very well. They look like a big log or something.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I just read that if there kept in a small tank when there at there biggest growth spert they will turn pitch black becuz there scales cant grow so it makes sense to me

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Breeding females are dark in color with a red spot close to corner of the scale. I am no arapaima expert but I watched Jeremy wade recently showing this. Would love to own one if I can manage a large enough tank :p

Sent from my A0001 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Not true. Many pima keepers keep their pimas in a small tank and try to control the growth rate while bringing out the coloration to a maximum level.

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Well mine is 14 inches and has no color yet is this normal, My pimas sibling is 16 inches and has a tone of red popping out

dookie

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Hong Kong
I think only the males color up. also, the color red must be enhanced through diet. What are you feeding it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store