College Fish Enthusiast in need of Advice.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Hey everyone! Sorry for my vacation from the forum, I've been really busy with my senior year in high school. Anyways, I'm moving off to college this coming fall, and i want to continue my hobby while there. I have a betta that I will be bringing along with, but I want to know of something that i could maybe keep with it in like a 10 gallon aquarium with minimal filtration and other hardware attached. I just need something that needs minimal maintenance, is cheap to buy, and care for. I've thought about a few options but nothing i can think of is really unique or exciting. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Chologaster cornuta ("Swampfish"). Extremely hardy, small native fish that can tolerate low DO and crap water. Just add some java moss on the bottom and an air stone and change water every other week and you're set. Not my picture.

image.jpg

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I had a 10 gallon in college too.
You might want to use a HOB filter instead of an air pump.. you might have a roommate that complains about the noise of an airpump.
There's tons of small community tropicals that you can keep in a 10 gallon.. Just about every tetra and barb, just tons of stuff..

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Great advice, but Id go with a 20 long, a 20 gallon fits in a 2 person dorm room easily. I had a 20 tall and a 10 in mine. One 10 gallon is for your betta, get a 20 long and go with planted tetra tank with a hob fitted on the side.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Thanks for the suggestions guys. minimal noise is a must too. I'm a light sleeper lol. Im wondering if theres an alternative to HOB that has less trickling noises? i hate the noise my aquaclear makes... bugs the hell out of me lol. I'll keep looking into compatibility and such, but I'd prefer to keep it to one aquarium whether its a 20 long or a single 10... I take care of two tanks now, I don't wanna do it at school too. I'd almost feel like it would get neglected.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions guys. minimal noise is a must too. I'm a light sleeper lol. Im wondering if theres an alternative to HOB that has less trickling noises? i hate the noise my aquaclear makes... bugs the hell out of me lol. I'll keep looking into compatibility and such, but I'd prefer to keep it to one aquarium whether its a 20 long or a single 10... I take care of two tanks now, I don't wanna do it at school too. I'd almost feel like it would get neglected.
An internal filter which I personally despise, or a small quiet canister like eheim.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
YEa, I agree a 20 gallon is better than a 10 gallon. The only room I had was on top of my dresser, which would only fit a 10 g.
A 10 gallon was easier to haul home in the summer too (less space in the car).

You could get a powerhead on a sponge filter as an alternative for quiet filtration. Penguin makes a combo unit that I used a lot before I went to central air system in the fish room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store