I did a bad thing :)

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
On sunday I finally gave in to the wife's demands and we went to the mall which was a long way out of town. It was the first time she'd been out shopping in weeks since the baby was born. I basically encouraged her to buy whatever she wanted for her self.

Then after a long day of shopping I had to check the petsmart at the mall real quick to "see what they had"

Boom!
uploadfromtaptalk1424705340740.jpg
(I bought the fluval not the dog fyi)

"But you spent so much more money on your self... how can you say anything about a $200 filter for a fishtank?"

Only married men will understand. Haha

Anyone else have any stories of triumph?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
My wife gave up on trying to monitor my aquarium buying I would buy a new filter install it before she got home and she wouldn't find out for 6 to 7 months.lol I will however say that Petsmart and Petco are ripoffs you could have got it so much cheaper on amazon.com or pet mountain.com

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
They didn't have an fx, I checked. Haha. I went with the 406 because I already had one on the tank, and its easy to keep replacement parts in stock. For like $20 I can buy a "tuneup kit" with an oring, impeller assembly, and impeller cover, to keep on hand

Like I said it was an impulse buy. I know I could've saved $20 by buying it online. I actually had my sights set on ordering a sunsun304 when i got home but I ended up dropping the coin on the fluval in the store instead.

My wife isn't too bad about my fish purchases. It's actually good that she puts forth a minimal amount of resistance, because if she didn't, I'd be totally out of control.... more so than now

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I got my fx6 for 280 on amazon it said used thats why there 280 but all used means in Amazon lingo is sombody but it never opened it and just returned it But you definitely don't have to explain to me the impulse buys sometimes you just can't wait for the shipping to come and the self gratification of having it now its so much funner

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
It was $229 at petsmart onsale for 199.99 with petperks, which was the same price as amazon. So it wasn't too hard to bite the bullet.

I have a stand I built thats really short and the same level as the foot of my bed. The 406 is perfect because its a high capacity and high flow filter thats tall with a small footprint. uploadfromtaptalk1424711235609.jpg
Its obviously too tall for the dtand but fits nice next to it... also low head pressure because of the short stand.

The wife and I have comprimised. I've elected a "fish" allowance for my self which works well. (Aside from the occasional slip up haha) I didn't like it at first, but once I restricted my spending I found I was making more intelligent purchases, and being that we're saving for a house it's all good.

If I were single right now I'd buy a proper CO2 system for my planted tank, buy a new aquarium to replace the one I've been meaning to reseal, buy a pile of hydor inline heaters and ranco controllers... and be broke.

The wife is pretty good. She puts up with alot actually. She put up with this http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...0g-40b-sump-on-the-cheap-(ballin-on-a-budget) I lost track of what it cost, but it was well over $1000 spread out over 6 months. She puts up with a 90g in the kitchen, a 40b in our living room, and a 75 in our bedroom of our tiny apartment.

But she hoards expensive shoes and purses so I don't feel bad buying a fluval every now and again.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
If I were single right now I'd buy a proper CO2 system for my planted tank, buy a new aquarium to replace the one I've been meaning to reseal, buy a pile of hydor inline heaters and ranco controllers... and be broke.
Hey, thats the plan I followed! New 93 gal rimless, controller, co2 regulator, pH probe, LED lights, canister filter, pumps and all that good stuff. Now I'm looking at buying another power strip and float switch for the controller. Plus I need to replace my CO2 tank. Good thing it is tax return time or I would be broke. It adds up quick if you let it get away from you. My girlfriend tells me when I'm getting out of hand on the spending, but in the end it is my choice and it is way too easy to chose poorly. :irked:

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Also some fun facts about the 406
uploadfromtaptalk1424713540379.jpg
Its bigger than a baby
uploadfromtaptalk1424713572898.jpg
The intake tube and strainer from a sunsun 302 fits into the white rubber bushing of the 406.
uploadfromtaptalk1424713619177.jpg
(Excuse the dog again)
If you've ever read my threads you'd know I couldn't just buy something and leave it alone. I bought 2 sunsun 302's and replaced their plumbing with painted pvc hard plumbing. ( http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-project-new-plumbing-for-sunsun-302-canister ) so I had a full set of sunsun parts left over. The intake tubes were the same diameter as thr fluval ones, and much less ugly. They are fairly sturdy and their only downfall imo was the portion which went over the rim of the tank - so I used the fluval tubing, bushing and clamp for the rim.

So anyway now I have a 75g oscar tank with 2x 406's and 2 whisper 60's. So I guess its adequately filtered.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Hey, thats the plan I followed! New 93 gal rimless, controller, co2 regulator, pH probe, LED lights, canister filter, pumps and all that good stuff. Now I'm looking at buying another power strip and float switch for the controller. Plus I need to replace my CO2 tank. Good thing it is tax return time or I would be broke. It adds up quick if you let it get away from you. My girlfriend tells me when I'm getting out of hand on the spending, but in the end it is my choice and it is way too easy to chose poorly. :irked:
Haha I feel ya.

My problem right now is that I was afraid I would have an issue with my Oscar and in tank heaters... he's been fine for years, but WHAT IF?!? Hahaha

So I need an inline heater, but what if the canister or heater fails? So I need a second inline heater, so I need a second canister?

But I spent all my money on a second canister and now I'm too broke to buy a pair of inline heaters so I have 2 canisters and 2 heaters in the tank.

Its a destructive cycle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store