Polys in a 150

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'd like to figure this out before I get anymore polys. How many polys can live in a 72x18 tank for a good amount of time. All of mine are between 10-12". If filtration isn't a problem how many can be housed in here at the 12" range? I know they're still growing but mine have slowed way down. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I currently have 4 in a 150 with 8 CL's, 2 butterfly fish, 2 bush fish, and a featherfin cat. Granted the polys are all only between 5-7" but its still a ton of space for everyone.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I currently have 4 in a 150 with 8 CL's, 2 butterfly fish, 2 bush fish, and a featherfin cat. Granted the polys are all only between 5-7" but its still a ton of space for everyone.
How is your featherfin with them? Mine seems to try to eat their slime coats. I always catch him doing it so I think he's going to have to be traded in.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
thats a shame, trade him in and grab a small 2" one to replace him. I bought mine at about 2ish" and he grew to easily 5" in 2 months. He doesn't bother anyone, just sits under his driftwood waiting for carni pellets and bloodworms. my koliba occasionally crashes next to him and the 2 little sennys always run into him lol, no aggression at all or slime coat eating.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
thats a shame, trade him in and grab a small 2" one to replace him. I bought mine at about 2ish" and he grew to easily 5" in 2 months. He doesn't bother anyone, just sits under his driftwood waiting for carni pellets and bloodworms. my koliba occasionally crashes next to him and the 2 little sennys always run into him lol, no aggression at all or slime coat eating.
Mine was 6-7" when I got him and he's still the same size. I think he's close to his max size anyways. I bought him so I could have someone as a clean up crew for my messy bunch. I wish I could find a good cleaner that won't harm my polys.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
thats weird hes doing that...its rare mine even moves let alone causes harm to anything.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Clown loaches are great cleaners. I have three that are in the 5" range, and they are constantly cleaning my gravel and driftwood. They glow slow as sin, but theu're great fish to keep. Without a doubt, they have the most vibrant personalities of any fish I have ever kept.

If you plan on upgrading one day, you could pick up a giraffe cat--also an african native. There is a dwarf variety as well.

I would play it by ear on the specific number. Add them one by one, and moniter behavior. Your fish will get stressed when you are overstocked, and behavior patterns will change. Some will say to make a carpet of polypterus, but in my opinion, if you want to see more naturalistic behavior, keep their number below 7-10ish.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Clown loaches are great cleaners. I have three that are in the 5" range, and they are constantly cleaning my gravel and driftwood. They glow slow as sin, but theu're great fish to keep. Without a doubt, they have the most vibrant personalities of any fish I have ever kept.

If you plan on upgrading one day, you could pick up a giraffe cat--also an african native. There is a dwarf variety as well.

I would play it by ear on the specific number. Add them one by one, and moniter behavior. Your fish will get stressed when you are overstocked, and behavior patterns will change. Some will say to make a carpet of polypterus, but in my opinion, if you want to see more naturalistic behavior, keep their number below 7-10ish.
I do plan on upgrading for my gar and aros sake eventually but I'm not sure what size tank yet. I also just picked up a juruense catfish yesterday that will need a bigger tank. My original plan was a 180 but I'll have to go bigger if I keep the gars and aro. Not sure on which I'll keep as I am attached to both but have heard they don't do the best together. I would love a school of CLs but that would be pretty pricey to buy them all big enough to go straight in. And I feel like by the time they're big enough to go in the Polys will still be too big and I'll have to wait longer lol. But I planned on maybe 3 or 4 more in this tank. As of right now I have my heart set on an ansorgii and a weeksii. Not sure what my other will be. There are two 12" ornates that are readily available at my LFS but the gf doesn't like them very much and I've heard they can be kinda aggressive.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Yeah I'm afraid that I will have to seperate my clown loaches down the line. Theyre really agile and intelligent creatures though. I would be shocked to see them get caught. My congicus stalked one for about five minutes about a month ago. He gave up when the clown turned on him and started zipping all around his face like an angry hornet. He hasn't tried since, or at least not when I'm watching. One of my ornates is aggressive, but only toward the other ornate. It outright tried to kill her when I first added her. I missed a great halloween party last year because of it. I sat there for hours breaking them up over and over again. The aggression isnt nearly so bad now. Just the occasional fin nipping and chasing. There are absolutely no signs of aggression out of the ornate toward other tank mates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store