RTC's fighting? Is this one bitten??

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
image.jpgHi guys,

i was recently given 3 small rtc's about 2.5-3 inch. They were given to me by a friend that got them without knowing anything about them, anyway I put them i a 15g tank in order to get them a bit bigger and put them in a 105g were I'm growing a rtc x tsn hybrid that just broke the 13 inch mark. (Next will be straight to my 3000 gallon pond when I manage to re home my remaining kois)

I ' feeding hikari massivore delite pellets and occasionally shrimps.

that was exactly 25 five days ago and now all three of them are 6 inches or more, greater growth rate that I could imagine.

now to the problem:

I recently noticed some fights between them especially during feeding time, yesterday I got home and found one with redness on his dorsal fin and I thing it might has been bitten,

Im skeptical in starting moving them in the 105g as I fear that the hybrid might eat them but I dont want to loose any of them in fighting since my goal from the beginning was saving them

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
RTC's usually fight over territory (territorial aggression) until they reach ~4"-5". After that they may establish a pecking order (hierarchal aggression) and enforce it. Neither one is too vicious usually. So I'd not worry about it unless lots more damage will become evident.

However, three 6" RTC in a 15 gal is awfully tight both from general considerations and from the aggression standpoint. The smaller the enclosure, the stronger the aggression.

If your hybrid behaves as an average one, I think an ~8" RTC should be safe with it. Even 6"-7"-er may be too. I'd try it with 8". But no one can guarantee anything 100% though, something to keep in mind. As the local saying goes "Never trust a catfish".

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
The hybrid is always hiding in its cave during the day, it only comes out after all the lights in the room are off, probably looking for pray all night. I have cut its food servings in halve so that the rtc's can catch up and get at least 8-9 inches so I can get them with him, currently feeding him 3-4 massivore pellets every second night.

even then Im guessing its gonna be two or three months before I need to move all of them to a bigger tank or the pond

Rtc's have shown some impressive growth rate, getting from 2,5 inch to 6 inches in less than a month!

On second look now, it seems that the bitten fin of the rtc is better now, hopefully it will heal completely soon

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Rtc catfish heal fast just like they grow fast
They will probably fight at first in a new home, but in a few days they should stop fighting

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
13" hybrid should start losing the need for a hide. Certainly by 1.5', they do not hide almost at all, again, on average. There are exceptions.

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
Ok, it really seems things are awfully tight for the 3 rtc's in the 15gallon, Im going to start moving them in the 125 gallon, going to move the first one tonight and the the rest every 3-4 days so I can keep an eye on water parameters since they eat like pigs and its going to be a huge addition to the bioload, hopefully the hybrid wont try anything funny...

Its hard keeping 3 rtcs in a 15gallon when feeding for growth, I have to test the water for ammonia and nitrites every 12 hours and do 50% water changes daily and some times twice a day just to keep nitrates under 40ppm!!

Unfortunatelly though it was the only cycled tank I had available when I got them, It was a hard month to keep the water good and get them to triple their size.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes,

I got the feeling that the need for transition in the pond is going to be a lot sooner that I expected..

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
Here are some pics before I start moving them, the first one is 35 days ago when I first got them

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'll take some pics of the pond also

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks. They look good.

...I got the feeling that the need for transition in the pond is going to be a lot sooner that I expected..
If someone has the fish first and the enclosure second (not through your fault in this case I know), IDK of a single case where the above sentiment was not true. The thing is when someone does the construction DIY or some of it is DIY, one must allow for roughly 2-3 times more time to complete it than what they had originally planned.

If I think it would take 1 h, it takes 2-3 h. One day - 2-3 days. And so one with weeks, months and years. IME any way. YMMV.

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
I dont have to construct a pond, I already have it but I need to rehouse my koi first, I already gave away all my Tilapias and carps to a guy that deals with aquaponics, I am thinking of keeping some of my big koi though since I believe that at over 1.5' will be safe for some time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Oh, yeah, sorry, I forgot. Pretty pond. Yes, as long as RTC cannot wrap its mouth around a koi, not even remotely, then it is safe (again, nothing's 100% but it is pretty safe), but not butterfly koi who are slow and more appetizing to predators.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store