Trimac scratches

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I've noticed over the past couple of days my trimac has these scratches on her nose and lips. I will from time to time see her scratching off of the sand and pots in the tank. All other tank mates are fine and she's eating and seems healthy other than that. Is this something to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424716185.614140.jpg

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
Fish scratch when either the waters dirty or chlorine is burning their slime coat, do u use enough declorinator when u do a waterchange

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I don't think there is anything to really worry about. Are there other fish in the tank?
Sorry yes. 1 male red devil a little bit bigger than her and two female Red Devils a little smaller than her. Also a common Pleco, green phantom Pleco and four line catfish. The trimac is the bully of the tank.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Fish scratch when either the waters dirty or chlorine is burning their slime coat, do u use enough declorinator when u do a waterchange
I do water changes every 4 days in this tank at about 30%. I haven't used dechlorinator in about a month and everyone in all of my tanks have been fine. I guess I will start using prime again on this tank. My chlorine is so low I don't worry about it. I'll start using prime again on this tank and see if it helps.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I mean they scratch and flash for dominance, and parasites too...poor water quality isn't the the only a fish will start scratching.

Unless you have chloramine present as well in your water, chlorine dissepates so quickly out of tap water I can't imagine that is the problem. I would look into your other params first. Maybe even dose with paraguard to cover the possibility of parasites as well.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
It may be from chasing. And what she's doing does look like flashing for dominance. I just didn't know it it was prone to infection or anything?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If you are worried about infection, dose the water with something mild like pimafix and salt. I would have to guess you won't see an infection from the wounds, but salt should take care of most of your concerns there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store