Male festae value

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
A friend of mine is giving me his 9-10" male festae as he is getting out of the hobby. He's not the most colorful male but he's still a good looking fish. I want to try him out in my community tank but if it doesn't work, he has given me the okay to go ahead and sell him. I don't have him and probably won't get him until Friday so I will update with pics on Friday or I'll try to find time to go over and snap some pics but for now, what's the average price for a 9-10" male festae?
Also, what are the chances he will live peacefully with green terrors? Some are 5" and one is 10" all the other fish in the tank are about the same temperament.

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
A friend of mine is giving me his 9-10" male festae as he is getting out of the hobby. He's not the most colorful male but he's still a good looking fish. I want to try him out in my community tank but if it doesn't work, he has given me the okay to go ahead and sell him. I don't have him and probably won't get him until Friday so I will update with pics on Friday or I'll try to find time to go over and snap some pics but for now, what's the average price for a 9-10" male festae?
Also, what are the chances he will live peacefully with green terrors? Some are 5" and one is 10" all the other fish in the tank are about the same temperament.
i just paid 50 for a 4 inch festae at a lfs, so a 9-10 inch male where im from would go for anywere from $100-200

robert511

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2013
orange county ca
Well I had 5 red terrors in my 500gal all female and between 4 and 6 inches as much as it hurt I had to get rid of 4 of them to much fighting all I can say is be ready with a extra tank incase your green terrors get beat up that's a big male and they can raise hell and quick . As for value shape and color will make the difference hope this helps . Don't forget you were looking for nice green terrors for a while don't let that terror kill them I wish you all the luck in the world

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I find larger cichlids go cheaper than smaller ones as people like to raise them. There was a large male red terror by me going for $10 on craigs list and a Jag at a LFS that was 11-12" for $25. So I would go between those number $10-$25 IMO is fair.

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
I find larger cichlids go cheaper than smaller ones as people like to raise them. There was a large male red terror by me going for $10 on craigs list and a Jag at a LFS that was 11-12" for $25. So I would go between those number $10-$25 IMO is fair.
thats craigslist though go to some of the lfs in long island and youll see what im talking about

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
thats craigslist though go to some of the lfs in long island and youll see what im talking about
Finish reading my post. LFS has a Jaguar 12" for $25. Your down near the city where everything is more expensive :)

your Festea is in the rage where they are most expensive. 3-4" is when they get the good colors but can still be housed by the common aquarium owner.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I'm up in Albany. I used to live in Rockland county (Nyack) couldn't find a house for under 300k so I got out of there LOL.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I'd say $100 max if you're lucky. The females are easier to house and are more impressive imo. It's tough to sell big cichlids - the market is limited. Still, wholesale price for a festae is about 2-3 times the price of an oscar of the same size, so I'd say you're probably looking in more like the $40-$60 range. $50 for a 4" festae is ludicrous if you ask me...

Just my 2 cents

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store