filtration for 90g

strangelynormal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
NYC
At the moment I have two HOB filters (AC 110s) mostly because I have extra equipment for ACs. Really I stuck with ACs if an emergency happened (and I did actually have one.. I lucked out). I also had old sponges and gunky filter media that were used to seed resulting in a cycle lasting less than a week and a biological filter built like a train.

But I want to switch to canister.

What canisters are good for a 90g? Budget isn't really an issue (seems pointless to skimp on a filter because then you'll just have more problems and need to spend it elsewhere). I've heard Eheim 2217/Eheim 600 (two of them on the 90?) but I want to know if there's anything else you'd recommend.

This is all in an understocked tank but I'm going to get bigger fish so bigger fish need bigger filtration. I won't add anything until I get these canisters.

Thanks in advance. :D

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
I agree a HOB and a Filstar canister would be a good combo. An FX6 would not be a bad idea if your eventually going to have a heavy bio-load.

strangelynormal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
NYC
Honestly I plan on upgrading eventually (not yet considering I just got this tank.. never too early to plan I suppose :D) so if eventual use on a bigger tank is an option I'd opt for that.. I'll definitely look into both and forgot about the FX6. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

More are welcome. :)

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I love my fluval 406's and my sunsun 302's.

My eheim was a huge pain. Nothing but issues. Alot of guys love em so I wouldn't rule them out.

I just prefer a canister that's effortless to prime. It makes maintenance much more pleasant

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strangelynormal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
NYC
hah that's funny all I ever heard was how amazing eheim is in comparison to all the others. Very odd. I have a fluval somewhere but it is old and has been in extreme temps for the last decade or so.. not really considering it for use. Should I dump it? don't know which it is as it's not in front of me atm.

Filters everywhere...

Yeah something easy would be ideal. Its kinda why I can't stand the AC 110s.. I'll keep one but lifting those things apparently isn't the job for me. I'm short :( they're really in a spot I need to take the whole thing off the back of the 90 to clean any part of them effectively or risk ruining wires unrelated to the tank with water damage. So whatever AC is closer to that is getting replaced with a fluval

Thinking probably one of the ones listed here at the moment, thanks guys

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you're looking for a canister that's super easy to clean you should look into API Nexx filter.

strangelynormal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
NYC
Maybe. I don't mind learning. I could probably be able to handle a regular canister and would prefer it anyway. Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely check them out.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have a fluval somewhere but it is old and has been in extreme temps for the last decade or so.. not really considering it for use. Should I dump it?
You may only need to replace the O-rings and maybe the hoses.

Maybe. I don't mind learning. I could probably be able to handle a regular canister. Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely check them out
I would check to see if that Fluval is still working then

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store