Testing a UV

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I bought a pile of used stuff on CL that included a 25 & a 40 watt Emperor Aquatics UV's. I don't know if they are any good and have not plugged them in to see what I have. Can I plug them in without water in them? I just want to test the ballasts in them. I will be replacing the bulbs and sleeves. I still scored even if they go in the trash.

ebaybrad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2015
ny
nothing is going to happen to them from plugging them in dry. I have the 40w. It is a spectacular addition. Just plumb it inline with your return if you have a sump, or between a canister filter and tank.

i wouldnt leave run, but no harm testing it. It is jut alight bul really.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
There's no harm in doing so. We run UV sterilizers dry 24/7 for breathing air sterilization.

If the sleeves aren't cracked or really cloudy just wipe them down with water and a microfiber cloth.

Some UV's don't startup right away either. My 8w aqua ultraviolet and 16w coralife turbo twist fire up as soon as you plug them in. My big 80 watt lifegaurd aquatics unit takes about a minute to warm up.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
You may want to get a new bulb, they lose efficacy after a while, and you don't know how long it's been in service at the previous owner.
Just turn it on, see if it lights up, then turn off again. 5 sec don't harm. Just don't keep our running for an extended period of time when you have it hooked up and turn off the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store