Fish Id?

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I found this fish at a local LFS in a tank with Jack Dempseys and Jaguars, I asked the employee there and they said they didn't know and the price was $5. I ended up getting it but am curious of what it is, it has the pearling and red lined fins of a JD but not sure on anything else. I thought maybe a JD x Jag cross?
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Why did the pics rotate!! :|

Well it's the brownish one, pics aren't great but it wouldn't sit still to get photographed. It has had some stunning colors at times and seems it will be a good looking fish when older. The JD in the pic is just over 4" and I believe it's a female, correct me if i'm wrong please!

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I see the similarites, and yall are right. Now I need to get a bigger tank for it. Lol
How large do they get? He is in a 105g currently, I do have 3 other tanks over 125g, but sounds like he will need larger tank mates?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They get about 12", but grew slowly for me, going from about 1" to 6" in a year.
With other fish in the tank they tend to be shy and hide in a cave, coming out only to search and destroy their tankmates.
They probably do best as a single individual or species only tank. And in that way, because of their slow growth could handle a tank in the around 75 gals, and become familiar with you as a benefactor.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Great fish, but they don't play well with others, unless your tank is over 200 gallons.
My pair pair woud kill any fish that came within 4 ft of their territory.

Thinking of adding one to my 300 gallon. The one at my lfs was actually 3 inches and was getting pushed around by a 4 inch jaguar and a 4 inch jack Dempsey. I have seen them really aggressive though. Have you spawned them duanes? I think they're subtly very beautiful. There pattern and red and body shape is fairly unique.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I will probably move him/her to a 75g then. I am glad I picked him/her up, will be a unique fish. Hopefully develops like some of the ones I have seen online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store