What Funny Things Have Your Fish Done Today?

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
So I did a water change and was adding some salt. Stirred it up and poured it in the tank. Well some pieces hadn't dissolved yet and when they hit the water, my RBP's thought it was food and came flying from the other side of the tank. When they got there, everything had disappeared and they were going crazy, swimming in circles.

The other day, I was feeding them and there was a few pieces of fish left over. The smallest one was standing guard over the little pile and when his brothers tried to grab some, they got attacked. Funny thing is, he wasn't eating them...just spitting them out.

I came back a few minutes later and everything was gone so he must've had a change of heart. :lol2:

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Personally I try and dissolve salt outside of the tank in some tank water first, in case it burns my fish :)

In regards to funny things, my BP's like to team up to build a sand mound at the front of my tank; which I then destroy while gravel vaccing lol, they always then build it in the exact same place. Weird.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Personally I try and dissolve salt outside of the tank in some tank water first, in case it burns my fish :)

In regards to funny things, my BP's like to team up to build a sand mound at the front of my tank; which I then destroy while gravel vaccing lol, they always then build it in the exact same place. Weird.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah...that's what I did but there were still some grains that were undissolved which was why I poured on the other side of the tank from them.

A sand mound...pics pics!!! :D

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
So I did a water change and was adding some salt. Stirred it up and poured it in the tank. Well some pieces hadn't dissolved yet and when they hit the water, my RBP's thought it was food and came flying from the other side of the tank. When they got there, everything had disappeared and they were going crazy, swimming in circles.

The other day, I was feeding them and there was a few pieces of fish left over. The smallest one was standing guard over the little pile and when his brothers tried to grab some, they got attacked. Funny thing is, he wasn't eating them...just spitting them out.

I came back a few minutes later and everything was gone so he must've had a change of heart. :lol2:

Why did you add salt to the RBP's tank , was one of them injured ?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
No. I'm going through a mini cycle right now and have a slight reading for nitrites. I added salt to reduce the toxicity.
Mini cycle? Did you empty your old tank water?
About fish funny act...when I replaced my heater with one that has digital number reading about water temp and temp setup, my Jag very curious about those pretty light on that heater...he's stared at it for long time and decided to give it a bite...very hard bite that made a loud noise :D he did few times then swim away, he's still checking it out from time to time but stop trying to bite it lol

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Mini cycle? Did you empty your old tank water?
About fish funny act...when I replaced my heater with one that has digital number reading about water temp and temp setup, my Jag very curious about those pretty light on that heater...he's stared at it for long time and decided to give it a bite...very hard bite that made a loud noise :D he did few times then swim away, he's still checking it out from time to time but stop trying to bite it lol
I did.

Right before I got the p's, I switched out the gravel for sand and emptied the tank and refilled.

I wouldn't think that would start a cycle though...I have plenty of bb on my 4 filter cartridges and 4 biowheels and hydro pro v sponge filter. I also use the grey clamshell cartridges that came with the emperor 400 and have them stuffed with eheim ehfilav.

Your jag, good thing he's stopped trying to bite it. When I had Pumpkin, he broke 2 of his thermometers. Must've bashed into them with that big old head of his. Luckily, I found the broken pieces of glass on the gravel. :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store