Does This Stocking Sound Good?

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
Hey guys,
just picked up a new fish (nicaraguensis) that had me changing things around in a 75. I want to get the stock right and leave this tank alone for a long while. Its kind of an interesting stock combo so I'm curious what you guys think for the long run. Its got a 4" female Geo. Brasiliensis, 5" male nicaraguensis, 4" feather fin syno, 7 denison barbs/roseline sharks, and 6 spotted silver dollars (metynnis maculatus). the barbs and silver dollars are all in the 2" range currently. As of now i know that in the long term thats too many fish for the tank. I want to pick either the roselines or the SD's as the dither fish for the tank but I'm not sure which would be a better choice..what do you guys think? Even with just one group of either the SD's or the barbs, would it still be overstocked down the road? In terms of the Geo and the Nic, they're awesome i certainly want to keep them in the tank, but are my chanced good they will continue to get along into adulthood? I know male Nics can get pretty big at 10"-12" but from what I've read they're rather mellow for their size. The Geo is a little feisty but my understanding is since she's a female I'm looking at only 6" full grown. Let me know what you guys think, i want this tank done right.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I wouldn't put a 12" fish in a 75 but that is my opinion. 75 is my biggest tank and I wont get anything that goes over 8" to bad you couldn't get a female Nic they max out 7-8. But I understand the draw I love Nics.

Blue Bear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Florida
I wouldn't put a 12" fish in a 75 but that is my opinion. 75 is my biggest tank and I wont get anything that goes over 8" to bad you couldn't get a female Nic they max out 7-8. But I understand the draw I love Nics.
I agree.

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
Yeah i would have loved a female, excellent coloration. My LFS had never had nics before and they happened to get a male in seems very rare for the store so i had to scoop it up. Originally it was just going to be the female brasiliensis and the featherfin and a school of dithers but the nic threw a wrench in those plans :/ now thinking i shouldn't have gotten him, got too excited i guess. I have larger tanks but none f which he could go in now at his size

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
My male Nicaraguan is about 9" and really aggressive. He beats up on everyone in the tank except the big green terror who's super mellow until the Nicaraguan tries to be the dominant fish.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Yeah i would have loved a female, excellent coloration. My LFS had never had nics before and they happened to get a male in seems very rare for the store so i had to scoop it up. Originally it was just going to be the female brasiliensis and the featherfin and a school of dithers but the nic threw a wrench in those plans :/ now thinking i shouldn't have gotten him, got too excited i guess. I have larger tanks but none f which he could go in now at his size

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I have been there before. I think we all have. I don't know there growth rate but maybe keep him for a while then trade him when he becomes a problem.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Your tank is 75 gallons so would be best just keep it singly or a pair cause of their territorial issue. If you want to keep any other cichlids in the tank, you’ll probably need tank at least 6 feet in length and don’t combine it with any super aggressive species. Other possible tank mates can include larger barbs and characins, catfish and Loricariids.

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
i think anything over 13" would be pushing it in a 75

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store