Dabola vs endli dabola

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
I think some of the confusion is how toyin labels his "dabolas"...... I have sp Dabola (tikisso river) -- which is the "original" collection point/sp. type,......and faranah "dabola type" -- which by the way he no longer calls it that.... he calls it "sp faranah -- full stripes". So 1st difference is the collection point...... this may or may not make a difference in the way they look/pattern/color etc... In my specimens, the farahna "sp dabolas" have wider and larger headshapes.... whereas the sp dabola from tikisso river are pointer and darker compared to the faranah collection point......

Due to the confusion toyin (again like mentioned before) has changed some of the names on his list. Lapen (dabola type) is what they call it in japan.

Reactions: DMD123 and Pedram

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I think some of the confusion is how toyin labels his "dabolas"...... I have sp Dabola (tikisso river) -- which is the "original" collection point/sp. type,......and faranah "dabola type" -- which by the way he no longer calls it that.... he calls it "sp faranah -- full stripes". So 1st difference is the collection point...... this may or may not make a difference in the way they look/pattern/color etc... In my specimens, the farahna "sp dabolas" have wider and larger headshapes.... whereas the sp dabola from tikisso river are pointer and darker compared to the faranah collection point......

Due to the confusion toyin (again like mentioned before) has changed some of the names on his list. Lapen (dabola type) is what they call it in japan.

His current stock list features:

Polypterus sp. "Dabola" (Tinkisso river)
Polypterus Endlicheri "Dabola" (Tinkisso river)
Polypterus Bichir sp. "Faranah" (Full stripes)
Polypterus Bichir sp. "Faranah" (Broken stripes)

Any further disambiguation possible Frank?

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia

So a endli dabola tinkintso is just dabola just labeled diff correct? Cause he shipping me one this week

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
His current stock list features:

Polypterus sp. "Dabola" (Tinkisso river)
Polypterus Endlicheri "Dabola" (Tinkisso river)
Polypterus Bichir sp. "Faranah" (Full stripes)
Polypterus Bichir sp. "Faranah" (Broken stripes)

Any further disambiguation possible Frank?
From this list, I am not too sure how the 1st and 2nd differ. It is my understanding the 1st one is the "OG" sp dabola,...... 3rd one on the list used to be called "faranah sp dabola type" by him..... and the 4th one was atleast in part the farahna laps he 1st brought in......

When my buddy ordered 2 faranah laps (toyin had just brought them in), he ended up getting a faranah lap (now called sp. faranah broken stripes) and a faranah dabola type (now called sp faranah full stripes).

Makes sense??

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
From this list, I am not too sure how the 1st and 2nd differ. It is my understanding the 1st one is the "OG" sp dabola,...... 3rd one on the list used to be called "faranah sp dabola type" by him..... and the 4th one was atleast in part the farahna laps he 1st brought in......

When my buddy ordered 2 faranah laps (toyin had just brought them in), he ended up getting a faranah lap (now called sp. faranah broken stripes) and a faranah dabola type (now called sp faranah full stripes).

Makes sense??
It does but I'm still confused on. Endlichiri dabola type tinkintso river lol .... Is it a dabola or is it a endli that just looks kinda dabolaish lol

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
It does but I'm still confused on. Endlichiri dabola type tinkintso river lol .... Is it a dabola or is it a endli that just looks kinda dabolaish lol

A Dabola is different from a straight up endlicheri or lap (but it can look very similar), but isn't yet a confirmed species (however us hobbyists can easily pick out differences). However with the different collection sights you see different traits, almost like how you see different traits in different collection points of endlis or laps. Since this isn't yet a confirmed species and oddly enough some dabolas look different than others you get a lot of confusion on what is what. So far I have seen 2 types of dabola (different collection points and also having many different features). One thing I wouldn't be surprised to happen is the dabola variants we call "tikinso" or "faranah" end up being named different all together and possibly even finding more than just those.

Reactions: Pedram
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store