Best Submersible Bio Media?

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
I currently run a 180 timeout tank for my rays. I am running a wet/dry with filter pads and a drip tray over bio balls. I would prefer to change to a filter sock sump system but most need submersible media. Saw an interesting use for bio on a members thread, but was wondering what everyone else uses or could suggest would be the best media to use. Thanks.

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
Is there a formula for how much k1 to use. As we know rays produce allot of waste, lol

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Get as much as you can into the available space you have basically. I used a whole bag of K3. Can't remember how much but it was about the size of a 20kg bag of dog food, loads of the stuff. Its bigger than K1 and does not get everywhere else in your sump.Works a treat once it's established and lost a bit of bouyancy.

Is there a formula for how much k1 to use. As we know rays produce allot of waste, lol

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I dont have a sump so i have these diy k1 acrylic tubes. I also added marinepure spheres on the bottom of the tube and have stacked a few sponge filters. Not sure if they are the best media though.

--- not sure why the pics is on the sides.

image.jpg

image.jpg

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Where this is a "time out" tank, do you intend to have rays in it occasionally? If not, why not just stick with what you have now?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I dont have a sump so i have these diy k1 acrylic tubes. I also added marinepure spheres on the bottom of the tube and have stacked a few sponge filters. Not sure if they are the best media though.

--- not sure why the pics is on the sides.
Cool man nice DIY

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
Thanks guys for the responses. Yes, I am hoping to keep this running full time. It has a lone male in there now, hoping to eventually breed and put pregnant females in there and then hopefully pups. I don't like the current system as I wasn't able to get to it for a couple days due to surgery and it overflowed onto floor. Might sock system just overflowed into the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store