API Test Kit and Nitrate reading

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
pH ,Ammonia , Nitrite all appear as a certain color and remain that color.
Nitrate on the other hand , continuously changes. after 5 minutes , the color is relatively the same however , 1 hour ,2 hour and up to including the next morning is a huge difference.

after 5 minutes the color changes to about 5 ppm , then 10 ppm and the next morning has skyrocketed off the charts. I try and look at this logically.I have been dosing my aquarium with approximately 3-4 PPM of Ammonia every 12 Hours. only because my tank has shown the ability to be able to do so in that time frame and bring my ammonia levels down to 0 PPM

I want to go with the reading of insanely high nitrate because it just seems logical at this point. has anyone had any similar situation with API test kits ?Inaccurate Nitrate readings ? if so , which reading did you go with ?

I know it really doesn't matter at this point in my fish less cycle and until Nitrite reads 0 PPM it really doesn't. This is just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
What ever your nitrate reading reads at 5 min. is the correct reading. Don't worry what it looks like before or after the 5 min. mark.
+1

There are potential ways to lose nitrate in the aquarium such as bacteria and algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store