High nitrites!

Lindsay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
illinois
Today i went to the LFS to test my 220G water. Turns out my nitrite levels are skyrocketing, everything else is fine, i even did 30-40% water changes every other day to prevent this (tank has been set up about 2 weeks), they sold me a big bottle of "Fritz zyme 7" for 160G of water, and a bag of dirty bacteria water squeezed out from 1 of the shop's sponge filters, and told me to pour both in so i did and not do anymore water changes and let it cycle itself, are they right about not doing anymore changes? i thought changes were suppose to dilute the toxics , i did 30-40% daily, and still high nitrites, will the fish be ok ?:nilly:

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Today i went to the LFS to test my 220G water. Turns out my nitrite levels are skyrocketing, everything else is fine, i even did 30-40% water changes every other day to prevent this (tank has been set up about 2 weeks), they sold me a big bottle of "Fritz zyme 7" for 160G of water, and a bag of dirty bacteria water squeezed out from 1 of the shop's sponge filters, and told me to pour both in so i did and not do anymore water changes and let it cycle itself, are they right about not doing anymore changes? i thought changes were suppose to dilute the toxics , i did 30-40% daily, and still high nitrites, will the fish be ok ?:nilly:
Is the stock still the rtc, aro and ornate? Theyre fairly hardy fish. It depends what skyrocket is too (.50ppm or like 5ppm). I would do large water changed daily though..

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lindsay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
illinois
RTC and 2 aros

If i did ANOTHER large change it'd just defeat the whole purpose of the $20 bottle of Fritz 7 i just bought and poured in.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
If your nitrites are high your tank is not fully cycled which means your fish will suffer unless you have some really hardy fish. You didnt post your stock but it looks like you have red tail? Thats gonna be producing a lot of waste and be able to survive the high production of nitrates. But in your case, nitrites which are more deadly. Do some heavy water changes. Like above, chemicals are a waste. Clean water is the best cure for any problem in the fish keeping realm.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
If set up only two weeks tank is not fully cycled yet. Do water change every other day till about a month which is what it takes the average tank to cycle. If you could get some old filter media from an established tank that would help a lot. Yes and as was said dont waste your money on the chemicals as they dont really work.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Youre doing a water change isnt wasting what you put in. What is your filtration setup? Redtails are messy pigs. Do water changes every day or at least every other. It wont hurt anything. Its giving your fish fresh water to take in...

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
OK...the LFS was wrong and right. They sold OP bottled bacteria which is a plus. Don't say its a waste, its not. Bottled bacteria works these days, unlike when it was a new thing and failed miserably...I've cycled 4 tanks with bottled bacteria, in under a week, with new media. If you haven't personally used a product, you can't comment on the effectiveness, period. As to the brand, I've never used it, but if it stands up with seachem and tetra, then its probably just as good. They failed by telling OP no WC's. Thats just foolish in general.

Time, Prime, and patience at this point lol. The nitrobacter bacteria has to catch up, almost there. Use seachem prime to help nulify the nitrites while the bacteria does its thing. Not condoning the use of prime for that purpose alone, but it is a failsafe when you need it to be.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
There is such a thing as a fish in cycle I have never pre cycled any of my tanks before adding fish it all depends on how many water changes u want todo u need a good test kit and u need to test it everyday and do water changes according to your test results redtail catfish are so flipping messy its not even funny your tank should be cycled in no time with that guy in there they are bottomless pits for food and grow at amazing rates just do frequent water changes according to your test results and you'll be good to go as long as your tank is well oxygenated you shouldn't have any problems big fish require large amounts of oxygen in the tank just remember that.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
OK...the LFS was wrong and right. They sold OP bottled bacteria which is a plus. Don't say its a waste, its not. Bottled bacteria works these days, unlike when it was a new thing and failed miserably...I've cycled 4 tanks with bottled bacteria, in under a week, with new media. If you haven't personally used a product, you can't comment on the effectiveness, period. As to the brand, I've never used it, but if it stands up with seachem and tetra, then its probably just as good. They failed by telling OP no WC's. Thats just foolish in general.

Time, Prime, and patience at this point lol. The nitrobacter bacteria has to catch up, almost there. Use seachem prime to help nulify the nitrites while the bacteria does its thing. Not condoning the use of prime for that purpose alone, but it is a failsafe when you need it to be.
Having just cycled a ~260 gallon recently, I think this is sound advance. In my case it did take a lot longer to cycle than I had anticipated with BB in a bottle, but that was due to the fact I had such a low waste production relatively to the tank so it had taken a long time to produce ammonia for even any BB to work. I don't fault the product for that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store