Snakehead Fever

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
SNAKEHEAD FEVER

Are you going through the Snakehead fever or have you ever been through the Snakehead fever? I can't stop collecting Snakeheads lately.. I need help :nilly:

My four Channa Pleuros and one Thailand Channa Striata:

20150221_232740.jpg

20150221_232749.jpg

20150225_143708.jpg

20150225_143718.jpg

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Snakeheads do not mix.

The 3 inches Thai Channa Striata looked a little stressed at the lfs. It looked like a market fish. He needed to fully recover.

Anyway so what happened was that the 4 healthy and well fed Pleuros attacked the single Striata as soon as he was introduced until he jumped out of the tank. He did not even have a chance to settle down. I saw though how he flared his gills once still willing to defend himself but it was 4 on 1. Plus the speed of Pleuros are like missles from all direction. They remind me of Barracudas.

I put the Striata back into the tank after he had jumped out because I had to do something quickly. He hid motionless in the floating plants and then the impossible happened!

I have never seen this before the Channa Striata defied logic!

He alone flared and faught and defeated each one of the 4 Pleuros which are bigger than him!! This unfed messed up looking baby Striata defeated a pack of baby Channa Pleuros!

The pack tried to team up on him with their incredible speed but Channa Striata is like Flash! I saw one Pleuro speeding at him from the right and striked. Then what is supposedly Striata shadow flying to the left. But no Striata is on the right and Pleuro flown to the left. How did he turn and striked the Pleuro that fast?!

Off he then went to jaw lock with one of the bigger Pleuros and he just shook his head side to side pushing the Pleuro to the end of the tank and the Pleuro fleed like a bullet. Then another battle one Pleuro and Striata circled and attacked each other repeatedly in a speeding circular motion before the Pleuro fleed. And then another before all 4 were defeated.

Of course the Pleuros did not give up. The braver ones made further failed attempts and none of them dared to bully the Striata again. This Striata was as if possessed by madness and was willing to go to any extent.

What do I say? I know I don't enjoy harming fish but did I learn more about Snakeheads from this experience? YES! I have never had a Striata before because I felt it's too common and maybe not outstandingly aggressive but was I wrong wrong wrong! He is something else!

When I saw this red eyed Thai Striata with metallic grey top and stripes and white belly I went for it for being unique. I chose one with the bigger head too. There were light brownish colours and dark metallic greys in the tank I wonder if the dark ones are males and light ones female.

Anyway what a great fighter and aggressiveness and to keep up with the speed of Pleuros I just didn't expect that. He then went to own the tank by constantly attacking the fleeing Pleuros and hunting feeder guppies.

Striata is King and deserves his own tank. Just thought I would share.

If you are looking for a mean badass Snakehead I would recommend Channa Striata. I shall name him Beserker...

He's a MIRACLE! He taught me impossible is NOTHING!

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Metallic grey I believe this is what he will look like in appearance once matured. Will update.

And here is the brown colour:

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
sooo...did you seperate them after this apperant show of force?

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
sooo...did you seperate them after this apperant show of force?
Yes of course. Hence my statement of, "Striata is King and deserves his own tank." I don't like sad living in my aquarium. So long they have a chance to defend themselves and their territory I'm okay. But as soon as it turns into harrassment, injuries, scared and hiding I'm not happy.

I thought as babies they have a chance to get along. Surprise surprise but I guess that's what sucks about Snakeheads. Every new Snakehead = new tank.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Update:

Currently I've just separated them with a divider. They are so tiny it would be unnecessary for me to get another big tank or tiny tank. Plus I'll be moving in mid year. Let them grow first.

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
just be sure they cant jump over the divider !!

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Fled** sorry for the typos anyway here's a pic I took before the separation. Can't imagine how deadly he will be once grown.

20150226_194647.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store