Arapaima Threatened!!

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
This is a YouTube video about how threatened Arapaima are in the Amazon. The Arapaima fishery clearly requires continued use of fisheries management to conserve this fishery and many species of Arapaima in the wild.

[video=youtube;CMuvtyxLolw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMuvtyxLolw[/video]

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
damn..sad
I posted this video as it is known populations of Arapaima require fisheries management for a while now. However this video did not mention whom or give reference to the study that they refer to in the video. Meaning this is not a done deal (the Amazon is a big place), fisheries problems can be mended and as stated the management that is going on seems to be working for populations that still exist in the wild.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Sad and not surprising; in general, the human race rapes the planet as if everything is here to serve us.
It does not have to be that way. As stated in the video and what I heard in Manaus (personnel communications 1993) in areas where fisheries management (slot limits for Arapaima to my knowledge) is being applied conservation of Arapaima populations is happening. These techniques are being proven effective.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store