Red eared slider and Chinese algae eater compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Assuming that I get a tank that was sufficiently large (about 50 gallons or so) and provided enough in the way of hiding places ( some plastic caves or a large plastic ship ), would a Chinese algae eater be able to successfully coexist with a red-eared slider in the same tank? Based on what I've heard, they're supposed to be able to successfully escape predation by turtles because of their fast speed, but if possible, I'd like to hear about the experiences of those who have kept the two species together successfully. Thanks in advance.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
No no no no. First of all, 50 gallons is not even large enough for the turtle let alone company.

Secondly, algae eaters such as the one you mentioned and things like pleco's are fish that "sit" around. Allowing the turtle to sneak up from behind and bam, bye bye fish.

I think this is a terrible idea, that algae eater will be food 100% of the time. They are simply too slow.

Now of your tank was large enough say, 500 gallons maybe you could make it work. But I'm looking at my 210 gallon right now and know that a turtle will find it and eat it.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Point noted. I'll get a tank that's around 500 gallons or so then. Now, if the Chinese algae eater isn't fast enough to evade a red-eared slider, what sort of fish would you recommend? Thanks

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Well I own both tinfoil and yellow fin barbs (basically the same thing) they are a fast moving and hardy fish. Tiger barbs may also be an option, attractive, small, but also quick.

The minimum tank for a red eared turtle is 10 gallons of water for every inch of turtle. If you get something bigger, let's say 125gallons or more you will have room for both fish and a turtle. I would go no less then that however.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
So essentially, bigger is better than. Thanks. I'll be sure to go for a big tank. Regarding tin foil barbs, , what's their care level generally like? Also, would a climbing perch be quick enough to evade most turtles? Again, thanks

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Danios are schooling fish. I would recommend 6 or more as not only is it visually appealing, it helps spread aggression amoungst them.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
No, a climbing perch would be an easy meal. Turtles have a great sense of smell and will easily find that fish when it's sleeping at night.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Again, thank you. Is there any type of solitary fish though that would do well on its own in a turtle tank though? I'm reluctant to get schooling fish because I don't want to over-strain the filter. Based on what I've heard, turtles tend to generate massive amounts of poop, so it'd be ideal if the RES had to share the tank with only a single tank mate. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store