EASTER GRASS is showing up...LOL

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Well had been thinking about trying out Easter Grass for mech or bio filter media, and it showed up in the grocery store today at 69 cents per bag. I picked up 2 or 3 bags for kicks, and might try it later on. Reminds me of that eheim stuff. Anyone tried easter grass it as a media before?

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Been there, tried that over 30 years ago. You're going to find that common easter grass has very low rigidity and will compress to the point of restricting water flow to a stop.
Well heck, I wasted $2.07, CRAPPPP!!!! :ROFL:

Nah, seriously though, thanks for the heads up. I learn something new every day, even after 20+ years of aquariums myself! By the way, does ehfifix behave the same way, or it it more "rigid"? I don't even need more bio, I just see stuff and think, hmmm, I wonder........

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I stopped buying all that over-priced imported stuff. I've had great success, in large W/D applications, using commercial floor stripping pads. I cut them into wedges and random drop them into the bio-chambers. They have a huge amount of surface area and are rigid enough to withstand 5000+ gph flow rates.

View attachment 1061004

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Lol, tried it 30 years ago! :D
Great tip on those stripping pads, I see them and always wondered about using them, I'm always chicken when it comes to thinking outside the aquarium box, but I always value experience more.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I stopped buying all that over-priced imported stuff. I've had great success, in large W/D applications, using commercial floor stripping pads. I cut them into wedges and random drop them into the bio-chambers. They have a huge amount of surface area and are rigid enough to withstand 5000+ gph flow rates.

View attachment 1061004
Do you think these would work in a wet only sump? I'm going to avoid the pricy stuff in the sump I am presently building. Reviewing a few options now. Thanks.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Do you think these would work in a wet only sump? I'm going to avoid the pricy stuff in the sump I am presently building. Reviewing a few options now. Thanks.
If you keep the aeration up the pads will work fine in a wet-only setup. My wet chamber was below my degassing stage so, there was plenty of aeration into the wet bin.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Awesome, thanks! Any brands to avoid, or are most aquarium safe?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store