Turning tank off while leaving water in

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I have my 220 running empty till my dovii gets 4-5 inches can I turn my pump off and let the water go stagnant ? I know I won't have any BB which I doubt I have any left since its ran empty for a month now but will the water go bad? Should I drain the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
you could add a couple sponge filters or air stones for water movement. There probably is still some BB left in the tank, to support a fish or two.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
You can drain the tank and if it`s not too old your seals will be fine. I have left tanks dry for extended periods of time without harm to the silicone. The key is to keep them out of the sun and direct heat, so if yours is close to a heat source either shut it off or leave water in the tank.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I was thinking to throw him in too I have lost fish in my over flow so I need to get off my lazy butt and add some egg crate to the overflow so maybe I'll just do that I just need to know how to glue it to my acrylic tanks overflow

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
You can also use gutter guard and zip ties. I found it to be a bit easier, looks better and has smaller holes but still lets a lot of water through it.

If you do decide to let the tank sit I'd either run some sort of pump or drain the tank. The water gets nasty quick even with nothing in it.

FormulaTank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2014
So Cal
If you're trying to keep your dovii from going into the overflow, I use fishing line twined through the weirs. Kept my baby jag out. You could also cut up and tie an old net over them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store