Please don't trash me

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
I have been reading so much about these fish and how very difficult and almost impossible to get to eat pellets ( especially when young and small). I have 3 small ITs, they will only eat brine/mysis mix and freeze dried krill. Lately I have stuffed a dried krill with a pellet and that went well. Here's my thing, when I first got them a few months ago they starved for almost a month, looked skinny and unstable and fighting with each other. I broke down and gave them one feeder each one time a week, then supplemented with krill and brine/mysis for the rest of the week.(they became stable,looked better, and stopped fighting). My question is instead of torturing the fish and yourself, if you can get gut loaded clean feeders, why couldn't you offer that once or twice a week then supplement the diet. It seems as they get big and more body weight, they are easier to fast and accept massivore or carnivore sinking pellets. What would be wrong with that? Not arguing here, just trying to learn and have them grow fast and be healthy. Thanks guys!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
If you can get bait shiners they'd be better than he over-copper-treated goldfish feeders.

You stated that pellet-stuffed krill are being accepted. They maybe hitting the scent/taste of the krill. Place some dried krill in your pellet container and the krill odor will permeate the pellets in a short time. I did so with krill and food sticks and it worked like a champ on my more finicky fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If you've come up with a training technique that works for you then that's great as quite a few dat keepers have their go to regimen that they swear by and of course,starving is probably the most extreme way to go about it.I've gotten the most success(almost consistent)with a tactic that I've come up with that does not involve starving the dat.

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
I actually am trying your way now as you have given me good advice. Just want to have a solid back up plan. Seems like you approve of it if I can't get your way to work. Thanks

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh yeah and Oddball mentioned an interesting trick with the krill in the pellet container that I might give a try...Training dats is a cakewalk compared to my Siniperca lol.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I had indo dat..i spent 7 months that he accepted frozen food..never took pellets..and after about a year of trieing I gave up..now he swimms at the Zoo with his own kind :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
He must be in a nice and probably huge tank.

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
Cool guys you are a big help. These fish are so challenging, but when they are 18inches and are the best fish around it will be all worth it!!!! Sorry for so many questions, just want to get this right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store