Liosomadoras Oncinus info

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
just looking for any first hand info and experience with Liosomadoras Oncinus - Jaguar catfish. Things like growth rate and temperment, or even where to find one.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've never got a small one but had 4 that were already over 5"-6", trade-ins / returns. The growth is almost invisible after this size. Perhaps 1" in a couple of years.

Mine were not aggressive as far as I could tell. It's not easy to tell as they are fanatical hiders. Shame for one of the prettiest catfish on the planet IMHO. I had to lean a rock against front glass to see them all the time:

Jaguars 2.JPG

Jaguars 1.JPG

Jaguars.JPG

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Awesome cats there. I heard they had a slow growth rate, but wasnt sure if that was the conditions they were in, or just naturally slower growing. That actually appeals to me more since it would be going in my smallest tank. What did you feed yours?

Does anybody know if these guys are hard to find? I cant find anything other than old threads from other forums.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Mine disappears for weeks at a time. I will see him every night for about a week. He just gets fatter by the day. Then he disappears. I haven't seen him for about 2 weeks now, so searched for him today during water change and nowhere to be found. I am sure he is in a log or something. They are good looking fish. I can't tell if mine has grown in the year I have had it.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I dont mind if their a typically shy species, iv just been really wanting a "nice" cat that could have its full lifespan in the living room community tank.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Awesome cats there. I heard they had a slow growth rate, but wasnt sure if that was the conditions they were in, or just naturally slower growing. That actually appeals to me more since it would be going in my smallest tank. What did you feed yours?

Does anybody know if these guys are hard to find? I cant find anything other than old threads from other forums.
IDK what they got at nights, which is the only time they'd leave their liar. With light on, I'd drop pieces of fish, shrimp on their heads which were gobbled up with much gusto.

I don't think they are fussy in general.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I had one that unfortunately passed away. It was always wedged under some driftwood and loved to hide. Hardly ever saw it, but the few times it would pop out...man... was it a beautiful fish.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I would love to get my hands on one. I have a few friends keeping an eye out for me if any pop up, but seems like they're hard to find. Maybe its just the time of the year or so im hoping.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I had one that unfortunately passed away. It was always wedged under some driftwood and loved to hide. Hardly ever saw it, but the few times it would pop out...man... was it a beautiful fish.
Exactly my sentiment! Their appearance may vary some and some are less attractively colored and patterned but most of them wow everyone, no question.

I would love to get my hands on one. I have a few friends keeping an eye out for me if any pop up, but seems like they're hard to find. Maybe its just the time of the year or so im hoping.
I've got my trade-ins when I lived in Rochester, NY, across the lake from you but on the other side of the border :) They are indeed not often seen but it is not as if they are never seen in your area, esp. if you visit the LFSs on the US side in Niagara Falls and Buffalo. In Buffalo I'd focus on "The Fish Place" in Tonawanda and on "Pets Plus" in Lockport. I'd get their numbers and call them daily. May add to it "Markheim's Pets" in Buffalo itself.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Exactly my sentiment! Their appearance may vary some and some are less attractively colored and patterned but most of them wow everyone, no question.

I've got my trade-ins when I lived in Rochester, NY, across the lake from you but on the other side of the border :) They are indeed not often seen but it is not as if they are never seen in your area, esp. if you visit the LFSs on the US side in Niagara Falls and Buffalo. In Buffalo I'd focus on "The Fish Place" in Tonawanda and on "Pets Plus" in Lockport. I'd get their numbers and call them daily. May add to it "Markheim's Pets" in Buffalo itself.
Ok great, thanks for the info. Will definatly look into them. Even if i cant find anything "close" im long overdue for a roadtrip :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store