Gator gar + aro combo

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Iv heard allot of people saying this is not a good combo but for me its been great iv had zero issues with these guys current fish stock 1 15 inch gator gar 1 15 inch clown knife 1 20 inch aro 1 14 inch arapiama 1 13 inch RTC one 11 inch shovel nose cat

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
What size set up is that? Pond, I'm guessing? Could just be a matter of time. The gator only has to get pissed one time and it could spell the end for your aro.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
To my knowledge, from what I've heard people really only get issues with aros and gars when the aro is smaller than the gar.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Iv got a 450g setup 10ft long tank and a big pond in the back yard in my experience with my gar he is super duper docile probly the least aggressive fish in the tank as long as he cant fit it in his mouth he wont bother it and I cant see him out growing my aro my aro eats 15 to 20 massivore pellets a day and my gar gets feeders once maybe twice a week and when I do get feeders the aro eats about 15 feeders and the gar gets about 8 the aro is a much better hunter. Of corse the gars growth rate is much higher but the aro consumes 10× more calories per week. Iv had these guys for a while and no problems, even when my arapiama was 9 inches and the gar was 14 he didnt bug him now the pima is 14 inches and the gar is 15 so its going good.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Gator gars are known, chronic murderers. You may have a magic mix that some people are graced with, but that combo almost assuredly spells disaster at some point. I'm not knocking you, they are your fish, not mine, and you have a better read of the personalities. Aros are more aggressive feeders I think, My gars tend to be pretty lazy hunters, but I'm raising floridas, not gators. I'll be interested for you to keep us posted every so often if you keep them together for much longer.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Yes I hope all works out I love my aro iv raised him sense he was about 4 inches so I hope it will all go to plan

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You'll likely have less issues with the gator gar/aro combo than the aro/rtc combo. RTCs will eat aros the same length as themselves. At an RTC's growth rate, that won't be too long. After the aro, the knife will disappear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store