Help with Redtail Catfish Pond Design

Mr. Ritter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2012
Oregon (United States)
Hello everybody, I'm back! :D

Its been a long time since last I posted here, nearly three years, blimey. I started researching Redtail catfish back in 2012 and since then I started raising and caring for goldfish and studying the nitrogen cycle. I still have a long ways to go and I want to get plenty more experience with fish before tackling the big monster, but at the same time I still got to prepare for my very special fish's arrival. As far as tank size goes, I have designed a nearly 11,500 gallon pond for the mighty Redtail catfish, but as far as the setup goes, I was curious how some experts in the field of fish keeping like you guys would handle setting the pond up (what types of filter setups, and where you might place parts to those systems within the room I designed).

The pond itself is a half bowl shape, 25ft long, 15ft wide, 6ft deep (at deepest point), as to allow the RTC to get back into the water with ease if ever it should jump out. Oh...and this is an indoor pond, probably should have mentioned that. There is a viewing window on the flat side of the pond which is a part of the master bedroom (because why not have an awesome fish tank build beside your bedroom?), and a large empty space above the master bedroom itself which could easily be used for storage of filter and heating equipment (see picture). The pond floor is mainly concrete, as far as it goes so far (mainly because of strength and availability), but I might find a better material that could work just as well. There are probably plenty of ways to setup a filtration system, but for what I am reading online, most people suggest the SUMP filtration system setup. What are your guys (and gals) opinions on this?

I intend this pond to have the best filtration possible and to keep the water itself pretty much crystal clean as to make conditions for my Redtail as perfect as they can be. Note: This pond is designed for just one Redtail catfish, who I really do not intend to keep as "just" a fish, for if all I wanted were a normal fish I'd just stick with the goldfish I have currently, lol. You guys are awesome here at Monster Fish keepers, can't wait to see what you guys think :)

redtailCatfishPOND_designQuestions.png

redtailCatfishPOND_designQuestions.png

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
As much as I love sumps I would honestly recommend a bead filter for a setup this size,

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Hi bro,

Heres from experience regarding the filtration for big tanks and big fish. Some may not agree but this worked for me for quite some time and thats why i think it could help you.

I would advise you to overdo the filtration. I use a variety of media. Prefilter with wool and foam and japanese mats. Then they go to chambers with porous ceramic rings and bakki rolls and even lava rocks. I put them all on (BIG) fishing nets so it would be easy for me to pull em out when i need to clean them so they wont be clogged up and remain effective. Have a flush ready for the chambers of the filtration for this as well to get rid of the dirty water and gunk. Next chamber would be my moving bed chamber which is filled with more than 25 kilos of k1 media and is Circulated by 4 power heads and various angles. Lastly, on my return chamber, i have my heater (i live in the tropics but i want my temp constant) and my uv sterilizer before going back to my 28k liters per hour pump. I have two big compressors to aerate my pond and my filter set up.

I also run a drip system, running through activated carbon to remove chlorine to help me with Nitrates.

And i still don't feel I'm doing enough:)) i am designing 8 crates of 2x1x.5 feet of lava rocks where i plan to plant golden ivy so i could have aquaponics too. Lastly, i will add a depurator. Search for ocean free hydra stream 50 for big ponds.

Another thing i learned was that it was just as important to have a good water circulation in the tank as having good filtration. I do this through having a bunch of wavemakers in certain spots where i see debris get collected.

Whew!

One thing I want to suggest is that you contract engineers for your glass. A pond that holds that much water could have VERY SERIOUS implications if that glass was to shatter especially inside your bedroom. Safety first!:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr. Ritter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2012
Oregon (United States)
Wow thanks guys! I can't believe I already have so many views and 4 replies on this thread! I knew you guys were attentive, but...Wow! Awesome!
I am glad you guys like the pond :) . Out of curiosity, as I am not all that familiar with the Bead Filtration system, how does it differ from a Sump filter? I did a quick read on them but they sound quick similar to the sump setup, other than the fact that they are using beads within a canister instead of multiple layers of various materials...but in functionality they seem pretty similar to the sump setup. Am I close on my description of the Bead filter, or is there a lot more to it than that?

Thanks once again guys, you folks are awesome!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think they mean pressurized bead filters that are efficient and compact.

You can still go with a sump, either separate or by sectioning off a part of the pond, whichever's more convenient. If all you intend it for is one RTC, the sump needs not to be as big as a sump required for a more typical stock / bio-load of a 11,5000 gal pond.

I/we are not aware of an RTC significantly larger than 4' raised in captivity. TL's and Arapaimag's are ~46"-48", the champion sizes I am aware of. That's roughly 50-80 lbs.

BTW, as your questions have little or nothing to do with catfish, I think you could be better served in a DIY section.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Sorry to derail, but Vitktor, what do you Base your estimation of a 48" RTC's weight on?
(Guessing experience)
Not doubting you, just curious :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
As my RTC experience does not extend beyond 2.5', that was a guess based on reading and extrapolation. If a 5'+ RTC is ~ 130-180 lb, a 4'-er would be around half or under.

But the point is that the usual stock / bio-load in such a large pond can be an order of magnitude higher, that's all. Having said that, I must clarify that I like the OP's ideas. Running way understock is most usually one of the best things one can do for their pet fish welfare.

PS: Ben, you should undoubtedly doubt me and, in general, everyone else for that matter.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Crazy interesting idea. How amazing would it be to have a monster pet swimming by the bed.

I'll echo others and say I'm surprised you'd have such a massive setup for one fish though. Low bio load might be healthy and I realize we tend to humanize fish too much, but I feel like he'd get bored being alone.

Also, what kind of decorating plan are you going to do?

Id love to hear a budget too. To really be safe you'd have to reinforce the side of the house and such. I'd imagine $75,000 easy.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store