Setting up 700 gallon can't decide on going pressurized or good old wet/dry

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
Again with all the new hype on the new media available in pressurized systems such as seagate filters and ultima II by aqua clear claiming 800' of bio surface per square foot would seem very enticing with a very small system and foot print handling 80-100 lbs of fish easily ,,,can go way up if purchasing larger system

Pressurized media ;
Pros ;to me are cost is realtively inexpensive , never have to touch or clean media , can relocate in the garage and just do backwash for cleaning and water change , noise level , mess , less flooding issues

Cons ; do they really work with all their new media ? Seems to good to be true and how will it get enough 02 to support all that wonderful bacteria

Wet dry;
Pros;Works and works well easy to keep any eye on water levels ,heater in sump , other media in sump

Cons; nitrates can get really high, have to change or clean filter pads , will have to clean bio balls from time to time for nitrate reduction, noise level , possibly more flooding issues on larger tanks

Also thinkin about installing a 1.5 " drain right in the middle bottom of my 700 just to suck the waste out ,, Iam gonna paint the bottom black and go bare because Iam satying with large fish ,, has anyone done this with success ?

Anyone using a pool type pressurized media based system with a larger aquarium ?

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
Pressurized with a pool sand filter and a pond pump. Theres no need to spend 5x more on the exact same thing thats marketed as a fish filter. I still have a sump but I keep grow outs and equipment in it, the water circulates with the tank without being filtered on the way down and it stays just as clean. The sand filters to 20-40 microns which leaves it crystal clear. Paired with a drip system its unbelievably easier than anything else out there, comparable to cleaning an ac70 hob about one a month.

Heres a recent thread on the topic, I could go on and on about how much better they are...
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?601266-pool-sand-filtration-for-large-tank

I bought the smallest and cheapest one from the local pool supply store and its built to a higher standard than every expensive canister filter Ive had. From a mechanical standpoint it has far more capacity than anything else out there even when compared to media only filtering down to 100-200 microns. While setting up the sand filter I used a whole house filter I had experimented w/ before in place of the sand filter and by morning it was clogged to the point that my pump wasnt moving water. I have 10-20x the load now and never come close to maxing out the pump. This past week I switch it up to see if I could tell a difference in running it in line instead of just after the sump pump to counter the head loss and I think this is the way to go. Down side is that now I am having to run a second pump to circulate the tank and sump. From a bio standpoint again I think the sand filter is unmatched. Ive never read any ammonia or nitrite and thats with an RTC, wels and aro all over two ft plus a ray, pbass, golden dorado, koi and several others. In my old set up I had a couple marineland c360s, two other knock off canisters, pothos, and a sump with 5 gallons of bioballs and several kinds of submersible media with an RTC and a few cichlids. When the RTC got 18 inches I couldnt keep the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates within an acceptable level. I can say without a doubt that all that filtration cant touch what the sand filter with 50 lbs of sand was doing before I added the drip and I added it because I got the RO unit for free, not bc I need it. In hindsight the only thing I would do differently would be to get a pump rated at a higher gph. My sand filter came in a kit with a 1800 gph pool pump so I got a 1800 gph mag drive pond pump knowing it wouldnt pump the same amount of water through the sand but my overflows were only rated to 1200 gph. I think the 2400 gph mag drive would have worked great or even better one of the waveline/jebao adjustable DC pumps.

Thats my 2 cents

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
Thank you I sewrched I don't know how I missed the thread yea going with pressurized

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I'm setting up a 450 now, I went with the Ultima 2 1000. I'm also running a small sump with filter socks for some more mechanical and is a good place to put the heaters at.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
Iam sold Aqua uv seems to have the best product of all of them ,,, I just ordered my ultima II 2000 for 642 shipped ,,,I know it's a bit overkill rated 1000-2000 gallons but Iam gonna run a lot of big peacock bass and one gigga as my tank depth is 4' and 10' long ,,, Iam excited going to put it in the garage too 😁🐟

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
Sorry tank width is 4' lol x 10' but Aqua uv 40 watt uv with a wiper and they make an awesome product is what

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
Continued :: is what I have in use for years ,, they make quality products I know I'll be happy !!

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
You might find this interesting...
$700 and $1400 Seagate filters
seagate.jpg

$140 Intex pool filter
intex pool filter.jpg

The $1400 dollar filter is a $300 dollar range older model hayward filter that they slapped their label on, you can clearly see the hayward label on the pump on the seagate website.

From a media standpoint standard pool filter sand runs around $10-15 for 50 lbs. You would need about 2 bags to cover a cubic foot so $20-30
Seagates "special" media cost $100-$120 per cubic foot.

Whats even more interesting is surface area comparison
870 sq ft per cubic foot for the Seagate media which they claim can handle 80-95 lbs of fish
30,000-50,000 sq ft per cubic foot for standard pool sand depending on the variation in size!!!!
How many lbs of fish does that come out to be!? No wonder the 50 lbs in my filter works so well.

intex pool filter.jpg

seagate.jpg

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Again with all the new hype on the new media available in pressurized systems such as seagate filters and ultima II by aqua clear claiming 800' of bio surface per square foot would seem very enticing with a very small system and foot print handling 80-100 lbs of fish easily ,,,can go way up if purchasing larger system

Pressurized media ;
Pros ;to me are cost is realtively inexpensive , never have to touch or clean media , can relocate in the garage and just do backwash for cleaning and water change , noise level , mess , less flooding issues

Cons ; do they really work with all their new media ? Seems to good to be true and how will it get enough 02 to support all that wonderful bacteria

Wet dry;
Pros;Works and works well easy to keep any eye on water levels ,heater in sump , other media in sump

Cons; nitrates can get really high, have to change or clean filter pads , will have to clean bio balls from time to time for nitrate reduction, noise level , possibly more flooding issues on larger tanks

Also thinkin about installing a 1.5 " drain right in the middle bottom of my 700 just to suck the waste out ,, Iam gonna paint the bottom black and go bare because Iam satying with large fish ,, has anyone done this with success ?

Anyone using a pool type pressurized media based system with a larger aquarium ?
spiff44 runs two Ultimas on his 1700 gallon tank.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...nk-resealing-w-no-silicon-at-all-1700-Gallons
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...9560-Pict-of-my-DIY-build-now-recycling/page4

VLDesign runs an Ultima on his 2600 gallon tank
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...16005-My-new-2600-gallon-plywood-tank-project

There have been some MFK members who complained about water clarity using only Ultimas.
This ultimate filtration thread discusses biowave filters.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...TIMATE-FILTRATION-AND-EVOLVING-WITH-YOUR-FISH!!!!!!

I probably would have gone that route if I had known about them when I purchased my Ultimas. We are going to run two Ultimas on our big tank primarily for biological filtration. We have been very pleased with running two Pentair Rainbow RTL-25 spa filters (run with a Hammerhead pump) for mechanical filtration on our 300 gallon tank. So we are going with six RTL-100s on the big tank. This is not something that is commonly found on MFK. Here is a member with a 765 gallon tank that uses RTL-like filters:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-My-765-gal-tank-Part-1&highlight=Mexico+City

Here's a fabulous reef system that utilizes RT-like filters
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16850559&postcount=809

If you decide on a closed loop system, instead of a drain in the bottom of your tank, consider extending your uptake pipes to just off the floor.
When these "poopsucker" pipes are strategically placed, the debris just scuttles across the bare floor and is quickly removed by the poopsucker pipes. This has worked extremely well for us, and in the 9 years the 300 gallon tank has been running, there has been no debris to vacuum out. Going with six poopsuckers on the big tank. The plumbing will be the only "decoration" in the tank. Six poopsuckers, five uptakes and returns for the mechanical filtration and one Ultima.

In our sump, (redundant filtration, and I had the tank built with external overflow boxes), I plan to extend an uptake pipe (like a poopsucker) to the floor of the sump to draw water to run through the second Ultima and return the water through the returns plumbed through the overflow box. I hate the thought of drilling the bottom or sides of a tank for plumbing....had eleven holes drilled in the top of our tank.....

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
You might find this interesting...
$700 and $1400 Seagate filters
View attachment 1061161

$140 Intex pool filter
View attachment 1061160

The $1400 dollar filter is a $300 dollar range older model hayward filter that they slapped their label on, you can clearly see the hayward label on the pump on the seagate website.

From a media standpoint standard pool filter sand runs around $10-15 for 50 lbs. You would need about 2 bags to cover a cubic foot so $20-30
Seagates "special" media cost $100-$120 per cubic foot.

Whats even more interesting is surface area comparison
870 sq ft per cubic foot for the Seagate media which they claim can handle 80-95 lbs of fish
30,000-50,000 sq ft per cubic foot for standard pool sand depending on the variation in size!!!!
How many lbs of fish does that come out to be!? No wonder the 50 lbs in my filter works so well.
Thats hilarious I almost bought one of those but it looked kinda cheapy to my so yea I ordered my ultima II 2000 without pump for 642 shipped ,,, Auqua uv makes a quality product thats why I went with them and not seagate I could of bout 4 those sucker with the pump lol good find !!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store